advertisement

MC cart recommendation - up to £300

It's been mentioned many times - some japanese manufacturers state the compliance numbers measured at 100Hz. Like Denon and Audio Technica for instance. What you need is @ 10Hz and that figure is roughly 2x higher so around 10cu for the 103 models. Cartridges with 5cu at 10Hz (like SPU) track at 3,5g not 2,5g.

Fitted Benz Micro Gold to Rega RB300 (on Michell Syncro) yesterday, after deciding Denon DL-103R didn't sound that good (with no headshell weight or messing about with tonearm angles and step rings). Gold is much lighter cart, counterweight much closer to pivot point compared to Denon, where counterweight was close to the back to the point that it would have fallen off if I'd have put it any further back. Happy with sound of Benz Gold, so far, even though Benz recommend 30 hours run-in time.

Fitted Benz Micro Gold to Rega RB300 (on Michell Syncro) yesterday, after deciding Denon DL-103R didn't sound that good (with no headshell weight or messing about with tonearm angles and step rings). Gold is much lighter cart, counterweight much closer to pivot point compared to Denon, where counterweight was close to the back to the point that it would have fallen off if I'd have put it any further back. Happy with sound of Benz Gold, so far, even though Benz recommend 30 hours run-in time.

I think this is a wise move. Enjoy.

advertisement

Back