advertisement

MC cart recommendation - up to £300

TheAuthor

pfm Member
I need a moving coil recommendation, up to £300 budget.

It's to go on a Michell Syncro with Rega RB300 arm via a Naim Nait XS-2 amp and Linn Sara speakers.

Will be used with Naim stageline.

I like a nice warm, smooth, chocolatey rounded sound, nothing bright.

Thanks.

Would rather go with the MC quality though. How much more would I have to spend to get MC quality. Remember, it's only a Michell Syncro with RB300 arm so don't want to go sticking a cart on it that will be way too good. It has a Rega Carbon £24 thing on it at the moment. Would prefer MC though. I've heard the Denon DL103 low output MC is pretty good, or the AT33 something or another, but heard AT are bright.

Would rather go with the MC quality though. How much more would I have to spend to get MC quality. Remember, it's only a Michell Syncro with RB300 arm so don't want to go sticking a cart on it that will be way too good. It has a Rega Carbon £24 thing on it at the moment. Would prefer MC though. I've heard the Denon DL103 low output MC is pretty good, or the AT33 something or another, but heard AT are bright.

I recently bought ab AT-OC9/III. It is a bit over your budget but it is worth it; certainly if you want to an MC cart.
If I where you I would try to audition the cart before buying. I don't find the OC9 particular bright but that is only my opinion. Your opinion might be different.

I've heard good things about Benz carts, especially the Wood, but can't afford Wood. Would the Gold still be warm and smooth with Benz characteristics?

I believe so ,yes though I've only heard one at a hifi show ,sounded fine to me .certainly not in your face bright, quite smooth.

I believe so ,yes though I've only heard one at a hifi show ,sounded fine to me .certainly not in your face bright, quite smooth.

Based on what you've said, and what I've heard about Benz carts I'm sure I'll go for the Gold. I'm assuming the Naim Stageline S will be a suitable phono stage.

Yes, Benz ACE will be my target if/when I get a Michell Gyro SE with Tecnoarm, but for this older deck a Gold will doo fine.

Don't buy a MC cart for £300 you won't get anything very good. For £300 you could get a Goldring 1024 or 2M bronze secondhand

Buy an MM and save up for a MC it's much better to spend the most you can on an MC. One of the best VFM MC carts I've heard recently is the Hana SL but they are around £550 new but probably the cheapest good MC around now.

You can have my Audio Note IQ3 for £300 if you decide to wait and save up, the IQ is not exactly warm as it can be quite in your face but is extremely detailed, paired with the right phonostage it can be tamed and sound warmer.

Hold out for a low hours 2nd hand MC cart; £300 should get you something pretty good. I have bought a few through pfm and they have been absolutely fine.

Don't buy a MC cart for £300 you won't get anything very good. For £300 you could get a Goldring 1024 or 2M bronze secondhand

Buy an MM and save up for a MC it's much better to spend the most you can on an MC. One of the best VFM MC carts I've heard recently is the Hana SL but they are around £550 new but probably the cheapest good MC around now.

You can have my Audio Note IQ3 for £300 if you decide to wait and save up, the IQ is not exactly warm as it can be quite in your face but is extremely detailed, paired with the right phonostage it can be tamed and sound warmer.

This IQ3 will wipe the floor with everything mentioned and Chris is dependable to buy from.

I've got to agree with others here, at this price level MM is generally a better bet than MC. Goldring's 1000 series (and their Audio Note/Roksan variants) and Ortofon's 2M range will muller a similarly priced MC.

advertisement

Back