Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mayware Formula 4 Mk III Tonearm

Discussion in 'audio' started by Downeaster, Oct 17, 2020.

1. Downeaster

Downeaster Member

Hello,

Forum newbie here. I’m working on restoring my Mayware Formula 4 Mk III tonearm. It’s missing the counter weight and bias weight. Since it’s unlikely I can source these weights I thought I might try having them fabricated. Does anyone have information on size and weight, hole id’s and so forth?

Thanks in advance.

2. Amber Audio

Amber Audio This is the Day

3. Downeaster

Downeaster Member

Thanks, the level of detail I need isn’t there.

4. h.g.

h.g. pfm Member

I have one on a turntable packed away in a box somewhere. If you can't get everything that you need from vinylengine and/or responses in the thread let me know. Not sure about the Mk III though.

5. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

@chartz I think may be able to help you.

6. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Hi Jez,
    About what?

7. Arkless Electronics

Arkless Electronics Trade: Amp design and repairs.

IIRC, and maybe I'm getting this wrong, but are you not a fan and user of the Mayware arm?

8. misterdog

misterdog Not the canine kind

9. Downeaster

Downeaster Member

Sorry, I saw nothing in that referencing my original post. I just looking for some information on the tone arm weights from some Mayware formula users.

Thanks

10. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Oh yes! Just tired, sorry!
    The counterweight is 83,5 grammes. But beware, it is eccentric!
    Bias weight is 7 grammes.
    [​IMG]

11. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

What is the internal diameter of the hole in the counterweight, or the external diameter of the rear of the tonearm?

12. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Your question is odd. What do you exactly have? It just has to fit the rear stub! Same tube as the wand exactly: 6.03 mm.

13. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

I was going to have a look in my box of 'bits' to see if I have anything to suit that may be of use to the OP. I would need to know counterweight hole diameter (or size of the rear of the tonearm if one doesn't have the counterweight to hand to measure) to see if anything I have would be any use, though.

Thanks for the edit with the addition of the size, I can have a look to see if I have anything suitable.

14. chartz

chartz pfm Member

Great news for the OP!

15. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

Not necessarily but may be of some help/interest?

I had a look and whilst I don't have anything spare that suits, I found the original (eccentric hole) counterweight for my Hadcock GH242 and that weighs 102.6g with an internal diameter of just over 6mm (it uses O rings on either side of the internal hole and they compress a bit so would likely fit the Mayware). I also have a counterweight from a Decca International, again it has an eccentric hole and weighs 94.48g. The internal diameter of the hole on the Decca weight is 9.47mm so larger than needed but it has a grub screw to tighten and could also have an internal sleeve added to make it fit. It also has a very neat fine balance weight which can be adjusted from side to side on a threaded rod at the rear. (the counterwight for the Decca can be seen in one of the photos in the linked article if you scroll down a bit https://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/decca_arm_e.html )

Sorry I have nothing spare to offer, Downeaster, but perhaps sourcing either of the above weights may be easier than having a new one machined for your arm, assuming the weight differences wouldn't make them unsuitable?

16. chartz

chartz pfm Member

There are newly machined counterweights on eBay, but they seem to be made on a kitchen table and are quite expensive for a lump of brass.

17. starbuck

starbuck pfm Member

18. zeon

zeon Active Member

Yes, that worked fine for me on mine. Bit expensive as you say, but cuts out the hassle on set up.

19. Venus Isle

Venus Isle Member

Hi

Apologies if this should belong in the DIY section.

I managed to snap the fine thread, which holds the anti-skate weight. Any suggestions for a replacement thread? It is much finer than the traditional cotton thread.

Also any suggestions which type of liquid, to put into the damping well. Does adding anything make much difference to the sound and if so, how will the sound alter?

Finally, my version does not come with the sliding weight. Is this a problem?

Thanks in advance for any help.

20. Downeaster

Downeaster Member

Thanks to all for the help! I needed weight and dimension information to look for a substitute or to have fabricated. I’m currently using a US nickel (5 grams) as bias weight and 1/2” socket (weight unknown) as counterweight. I have the rubber insert for the counterweight. It’s working surprisingly well. Nylon thread works well for the bias weight.
    Does anyone else have any suggestions for substitute weights?