Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Mayht Disruptive Transducer Technology

Discussion in 'trade discussion' started by Purité Audio, Jan 30, 2022.

1. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Trade: Purite Audio

2. Ian G

Ian G pfm Member

Hifi or just audio ?

3. Purité Audio

Hi-fi soon.
    Keith

4. sortof

sortof Active Member

5. Purité Audio

I am no expert but far more radical, two drivers occupying a much smaller space, I know there are prototype loudspeakers extant and results apparently have been astonishing ( in a good way).
    Keith

6. martin clark

martin clark pinko bodger

Since the electroacoustics os such things, even in bipolar pairs such as linked, is long settled ... I'm curious to know what the trade-offs chosen, are...

7. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

Given the electrical trade offs in long coils and xmax vs acceleration I'll wait for the measurements. Could be good though.

8. Doomlord_uk

Doomlord_uk pfm Member

Just looks like you have two motors per diaphram, mounted either side of the diagphragm to minimise unit depth, then they put two back to back. As long as it works I'm sure it's going to sound fine. I do wonder if the driver cone won't be prone to much greater flexure or breakup. That might be a limiting factor.

9. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Moving little drivers a very, very long way is never the answer IMHO. Air just doesn’t work like that.

10. Purité Audio

Company recently bought by Sonus, for 100M.
    Keith

11. sq225917

sq225917 Bit of this, bit of that

I expect sonos did due diligence, the profit is in the licensing.

12. Purité Audio

Apparently they really are decent drivers, and of course they may not be made available to third party manufacturers..
    Keith

13. iansr

iansr pfm Member

High excursion and yet they claim low distortion, so it will be interesting to see measurements. This is clearly a very serious enterprise so I think we can take it as read that its not vapourware. I will look out for them at Munich. The drivers would be great for dipole use

Founded by 2 brothers, bit of synchronicity there with Wing Acoustics, another potential disruptor which seems to have made disappointingly slow progress.