advertisement

Max Townshend RIP

RIP Max - I knew him only by reputation, and the number of anecdotes here really surprise me for how well liked he was - shows how much impact an individual can have on lives without shouting from the rooftops. I hope his family gets to read all these comments, it paints such a positive picture of the guy.

Below post from Graham is interesting - I bought this a few years ago purely based on his reputation, for my sins I’ve never listened to it - may have to now!

24941856525_04b48659fa_b.jpg

My original thread here; https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/three-guesses-what-is-this.184234/#post-2783243

I've been thinking of Max most of the day and it dawned on me that apart from his seismic platforms I actually own one of his creations. I remember servicing a few of his Elite Townshend 600C preamps back in the 1980s/90s and was always impressed by the extremely compact design. I came across one a few years back in mint condition and bought it on the spot. When you think this was a full function preamplifier with a MM/MC phono stage, a line level source input, plus a tape loop and all in an enclosure less than 2" wide, 4" high and 12" deep makes it all the more remarkable. It sounds sweet too. It is rare I buy used equipment these days, but when something as special as this pops up I didn't hesitate to add it to my small but very special and personal audio collection.

L1466511-e1641139810303.jpeg

Tonight I will definitely crack open a bottle of Leffe Blonde and raise a glass to Max...

Ah just saw this. Very sad indeed.
I have had a Rock Mk II for many years now - great t/t.
As an aside, we did some house renovations about 15 years ago. The builder threw an end of year party at his house for his clients - during the course of the evening I wandered into his living room where some music was playing and not only did I find a Rock Mk 2 in action but he also had a pair of Glastonburys - the sound was amazing. A sophisticated builder indeed. It turned out that he had worked for Max in the UK some years before and had shipped the gear back to New Zealand when he left the UK. Not sure what the cost of shipping was but the Glastonburys are rather heavy ...

advertisement

Back