advertisement

Max Townshend RIP

Crikey, didn't expect that.
When I first started in HiFi retail he used come around to our store to try some of his new prototypes with "different" equipment. Very nice fella and worth chatting to.
RIP

RIP Max, saw him at the hi-fi shows a few times, certainly made his mark on the hi-fi scene.

Very sad. I shared a stand next to him at a couple of shows and we always had a laugh. One of the good guys. RIP

Reactions: GT
Very sad news. Max was a real character with a great sense of humour and I always made sure to seek him out for a natter at hi-fi shows - copious quantities of red wine were often involved!

My sincerest condolences to Sue and his friends and family.

Very sad news.

Chatted with Max a few times at various shows. One of just a couple of people who actually knew how to make ported speakers to work properly.

RIP Max
He will be missed.

Never quite managed to go over and see him, just down the road from me but I did speak to him on the phone about taking on one of his ex employees. A very honest and not at all PC summation of the person

He was always a joy to have a chat with at show's, it was like nothing was to much trouble , and his wife sue, gave me a price i couldn't refuse on my speaker podiums rip MAX,

I have just heard overnight of the passing of Max Townshend of Townshend Audio this is truly very sad news indeed to both Dawn and I as we had become friends in the last 12 years or so meeting up at the Audio Shows and always sharing both Max and Sues wonderful company along with Harriet and Toni . and at this years Bristol Show (since cancelled) I was invited to be part of there team sharing their stand. And I can only say he will be so greatly missed both as a true gentlemen / Hi Fi Innovator and as many have already said a truly wonderful Audio Legend and also a Family man a lovely Friend to Dawn and I and as a larger than life character who always had time to speak to people about his products / designs etc. Deepest Condolences to the Townshend Family - RIP Max ❤️❤️

I am sad to write to write about a dear friend Max Townshend who left this world yesterday at the age of 78, I spoke with his wife and daughter Harriot this morning and encouraged me to write a few words. I first knew off Max over 40 years ago, when my father owned a Cranfield Rock, I first met max when i was 10 years old and was using a Rock (one of my dads) from this age. Over the years we developed a strong friendship. His sheer dedication and passion and knowledge of engineering and production was truly breathtaking. Townshend was set up in 1975 in Sydney. Max came to England in 1978 and launched the parabolic stylus and then met professorJack Dinsdale at an early Penta show, max understood that Professor dinsdales approach was truly unique, and decided to make the approach widely available this was the beginning on what became a truly iconic turntable. The majority of rock turntables were manufactured in Walton upon thames in the uk and with the launch of the Rock reference max had moved operations to Malta and for a three years he moved to Texas. The Rock reference had many wonderful reviews with the likes of REG from absolute sounds using it as his reference turntable together with John Bamford of Hifi answers together with many others. Max was a remarkable individual who really believed in his approaches and what could be achieved and provided a huge amount of enjoyment to thousands of Rock owners over the world especially with the Elite rock. Max went through the audio chain producing Speakers, amplification, cables and off course his well respected isolation systems. I spent many hours listening to his ground up systems always being more than impressed. The most impressive speaker he produced with the late John Bamford was the Sir Galahad a truly spectacular line source design this never went into commercial production.It was quite an experience no doubt listening to them at John's house in his basement listening room with the Rock Reference at the front end.

Max was a friend to me and we had many hours of interesting conversations on analogue replay, and came to my wedding over 15 years ago. In 2007 Max introduced the Rock V after many years of not making turntables I actually received an early sample on the day of my wedding max had the turntable in the car, later he introduced a simplified turntable the rock 7 which meant he could manufacture the rock again at a more reasonable cost still with all the wonderful merits. I will say it there was only one Max Townshend a true legend and a contributed vastly to our industry in his 78 years on this planet he was born in 1943 in Australia. He leaves behind his dear wife sue and his three daughters and grand child. and will be missed by many I will most certainly miss Max end of and era for many. It shows us life is so precious and the importance of valuing each other.

Last edited:
Very sad to read this. RIP Max. Another audio industry legend who will be much missed.

yes great guy , talked a number of times and sat next to him on bus to wam show once . often used his stuff . sadly missed

Went to his premises at Hampton once where he proudly showed off his vintage motor, Capri or something ? ( I don't know cars ).
It was about the length of a transit van and did around 10 m to the galleon he said, ha. Will be sadly missed RIP
p.s Was the Sue that worked in the office his wife ?

Sad news, had the pleasure of Max's company at many shows. Such a great character, always had a great laugh.

In happier times-

b6wD9lW.jpg

SOOOOO sad to hear this, have been chatting to Max for 40 odd years at shows. No Bristol show this year so would have missed him yet again, had hoped this was going to be a better year than last but this isn't a good start. RIP Max.

advertisement

Back