advertisement

Matti Otala & "The 2 Channel Audio Power & PreAmplifier"

Hi,
FWIW, I remember these coming out - I was working in a Hifi shop in London in the late 70's. I sold a system with them in that was fronted by a LP12 with dynavector ruby and a pair of Quad 57's which this amp loved (matching them for input). I seem to recall it ran just about anything being class A. Really nice piece of kit.

Wanna' buy them? :) I've kind of decided to sell as is, with lots of internal photos - probably eBay I think.

If I had a pair of 57's they would be my first choice for an amp, having heard what they can make the 57's do. I don't know if Electrocompaniet still service them so you might be able to get information from them about the MC board. But Like you I've 63's and they need a bit more grunt. You should have no problem selling them.

Bringing to to the top - I will be putting this pair on eBay next week I guess, if anyone's interested beforehand please let me know.

Richard

I used the Electro with Elite Townshend pre, LP12, Mission 774, Asak & Mission 770's this was one of the most enjoyable systems I have ever owned. The EC power amp was £315 then late 70's I think.

On a different note I have just reacquired a pair of 770's on the end of my 845 push pulls (100watt) they sound amazing and I have no desire to return to my £2700 proac response 2.5!

Criky I used to have 2 bridged with an elite pre, the matching pre was not so good, they were great sounding but forever blowing output transistors I eventually chucked them in a skip got so mad, what a plonker ��

I used the Electro with Elite Townshend pre, LP12, Mission 774, Asak & Mission 770's this was one of the most enjoyable systems I have ever owned. The EC power amp was £315 then late 70's I think.

On a different note I have just reacquired a pair of 770's on the end of my 845 push pulls (100watt) they sound amazing and I have no desire to return to my £2700 proac response 2.5!

Funny I had same spat from Ittock and elite cart.

I remember auditioning this pre power with a pair of esl 57s and thought it was magical, I think it was fronted by an lp12 ittok asak using the built in phono boards.

No idea really, they are not something that comes up for sale that often :) I'd like to get £450 for the pair, and wouldn't like to split the power off alone, as the pre would then require an external PSU.

I suppose keeping them together makes sense. Doesn't sound a too much for such an iconic amp, but probably a bit much for me to spend at the moment on something I don't ractually need 8-(

These things always come up at the wrong time... step daughter consuming more than that each month, which isn't helping my hifi fund at the moment.

Keep me in the loop (by PM perhaps) with your sales plans, as I may get an eBay bargain I suppose :cool:

There's a power amp for sale in Greece currently, but way too expensive and hideously modified

Bit late to the party but if the OP (Dowser) wants a copy of the review I reviewed this pre/power combination in 1980 for Hi-Fi Answers magazine - PM me.
DGP

Bit late to the party but if the OP (Dowser) wants a copy of the review I reviewed this pre/power combination in 1980 for Hi-Fi Answers magazine - PM me.
DGP

That would be cool, thank you DGP - you have PM :)

Richard

The Hi-Fi Answers review from June 1980 (!) is posted here;
https://1drv.ms/b/s!Ai7bbMLU5VOLg2fJH5ZhtGYof4SR

Please note that copyright of words still belongs to David Prakel and is made available here for non-commercial use only. Anyone attempting to sell or make commercial use of it will mysteriously find their hi-fi silenced for ever! :)

Many thanks to David for sharing. Interesting to note that this early review highlighted limitations with the early MC input, and seems to be the reason for the additional headamp board that has been fitted to my later version of the pre.

Richard

advertisement

Back