advertisement

MasterChef: The Professionals 2019

His (Greg's) vocabulary when it comes to describing food show just how out of his depth he is. The proper chefs can articulate the subtlety of what is properly good, particularly when they visit places like Mugaritz, but he just flounders.

His background in his youth involves violent support of football thuggery via his allegiance to Millwall and their mantra of "no one likes us ...we don't care". He will not be upset by your comments!

IF I remember correctly his involvement came about because his business was originally about supplies of vegetables to restaurant chefs and then eventually onto the show.

His background in his youth involves violent support of football thuggery via his allegiance to Millwall and their mantra of "no one likes us ...we don't care". He will not be upset by your comments!

IF I remember correctly his involvement came about because his business was originally about supplies of vegetables to restaurant chefs and then eventually onto the show.

He used to co-host a R4 program about vegetables on Friday afternoons. I disliked his broadcast manner even then - he was just as shouty.

His (Greg's) vocabulary when it comes to describing food show just how out of his depth he is. The proper chefs can articulate the subtlety of what is properly good, particularly when they visit places like Mugaritz, but he just flounders.

I think you misunderstand why he is there on the show. He is the glue that keeps a broad audience tuned in. If it was just aimed at us, foodies, then I don't think it would be a continuing success.

Many viewers including my neighbours (who incidentally love the show) only watch because they are interested in what he has to say - they are drawn to the show because of him, develop allegiances with the chefs and continue to watch to latter episodes. They have a passing interest in the food, and no interest (and I quote) "in what the poncy chefs have to say". They have never eaten in nor aspire to eat in a fine dining restaurant. In fact i have invited them to eat with us at a number of fine dining and M* places in London, including Roganic, Marcus and Bibendum etc, but they have no interest. Gregg doesn't flounder, he does what he is good at and attracts a broader audience

Whereas I am interested in the nuanced comments and the food. I have no allegiance to an individual chef, but am interested in the food, the cooking and the technique. Gregg rather than irritating me, makes me smile and his presence washes over me, I care little about what he says. I am sufficiently tolerant not to let him bother me.

Yes...and last night; they scraped three through last week..tomorrow's will be a tougher decision.

Yes, it seems a shame to lose some obviously decent contestants when lesser ones went through on the previous week.

I like Gregg - I always laugh before he gives a verdict on a dessert, even my 11 year old said last night "he's gonna like it, it's got sugar in it". Incidentally, I always find the clearly edited side-eyes, confused looks and scowls, or sometimes approving smiles from Gregg, Monica and Marcus during the skills tests highly amusing.

The recent chef skill tests seem to go from the ridiculous to the sublime.
A risotto, a croque monsier, a risotto - vs prepping and artichoke, prep a sea urchin, mousseline desert,

Guess it's pot luck, and it must be hard to keep company no upmwith them. But it sorts the wheat/chaff and those who do best tend to have had classic Chef training in the 'basics'.

On a side note, but related, I saw R Stein French Trip last night, and a very sanguine comment was made (by a Brit cooking in France) that training for cheffery in France is still considered best in world.

The pastry Chef had a bit of a disaster with the crepe souffle skills test but came back with the best signature dish. and was put through in the first two..I think they use the skills test for the drama...it maybe counts for....30% of the Judge's marking?

It might be but depends on where you want to end up in your career. Not always necessary for M* these days...........

True. But in the context of this contests CSTs, it does appear that those pros with classic training constantly fare better than the self taught gastro pubbers.

That any of them cock up in the sig dishes round is odd, given they know it's coming and should be completely practised, prepped and organised.

The pastry Chef had a bit of a disaster with the crepe souffle skills test but came back with the best signature dish. and was put through in the first two..I think they use the skills test for the drama...it maybe counts for....30% of the Judge's marking?

I don't know if it counts for anything - If they had four contestants that produced amazing signature dishes and they couldn't split them then maybe.....otherwise I think their main dishes are all that matters. I think you're right about the drama, plus it could be viewed as a little promotion for Marcus and Monica - I like watching them do their thing anyway.

I don't know if it counts for anything - If they had four contestants that produced amazing signature dishes and they couldn't split them then maybe.....otherwise I think their main dishes are all that matters. I think you're right about the drama, plus it could be viewed as a little promotion for Marcus and Monica - I like watching them do their thing anyway.

I think it serves two purposes. For the chefs who say they know how to do it it's a test of how well they can do it. For those that haven't done it it's a test of how well they can adapt to the unknown.

For the first time since episode1, I thought we might be looking at a finalist last night. Pastry boy (who hasn't pastried yet) looked v good? Well I have a quiet £5 with the old girl on it.

advertisement

Back