advertisement

MasterChef: The Professionals 2019

Back on topic...
Pro chefs who couldn't (didn't know) how to spatchcock a fowl, unreal. A truly shocking skills test for 5 of them.
Last night's bunch were poor...the sort proper Chefs would snort derisively at and a real weakness of the show if it can't attract a decent calibre.

Back on topic...
Last night's bunch were poor...the sort proper Chefs would snort derisively at and a real weakness of the show if it can't attract a decent calibre.

I agree they were poor, but there are lots of others to come.

I was working at a ready meal/sandwich manufacturer a couple of years ago and one of the women from the product development department got through to the last 10.

What gets me it that admit they have a weakness in one area, why not work on it and only apply if you are fully skilled.

Pete

The celebrity entrants on the last recent series were as good, and in some cases a hell of a lot better than last nights so called pro's. I still can't fathom how at least 3 of them hold a full time chefs job down. I'd have won last night!

The first chap with the monster beard (he did trim it for the show) had to wear a hair net over it, so how did he taste his food?

Pete

I have a craving for tobbaco ice cream ;)

The first chap with the monster beard (he did trim it for the show) had to wear a hair net over it, so how did he taste his food?

Yes, it gets to me how many TV chefs have grey straggly beards too....even Marcus. Many a person must have copped for one of his fallouts and then had reoccurring nightmares they'd almost swallowed a pube. Not appetizing at all.

agree about last nights six...blimey...if tonights lot are even half decent they'll be through. And the girl who emptied the bowl of sugar onto the plate, and raw offal boy blimey.

The skills tests should be better balanced too, one side will get asked to skin a fish and fry it, and the other gets asked to produce a deconstructed peruvian pudding with a cuckoo spit dressing made from Chantilly cream.

Although after the spatchcock showing last night Dairylea on toast would have caused some of them grief.

Tonight must be of better quality.

Why are most/some of the chefs unable to complete skill tests. Are there no trials/test of contestants prior to appearing?

Bloss

Tonight, three chefs face the terrifying prospect of cooking an elegant dish at Monica's request. They have 15 minutes to perfectly prep and cook razor clams with a shallot, caper and tomato sauce. If the chefs haven't ever tackled a razor clam, they need to dig into their repertoire of shellfish cookery to conjure up a dish to wow the judges.

The next three contestants have been given 15 minutes by Marcus to prep and cook his calves' liver with a bordelaise sauce. Timings, texture and taste are key to making this dish a delight, not a disaster.

razorclams and liver. Hmmm thank the gods its a new 6. First my own supper of homemade pasta...which will be worse:)

Why are most/some of the chefs unable to complete skill tests. Are there no trials/test of contestants prior to appearing?

Bloss
we were talking about that earlier...how dreadful must some of the entrants have been to not get selected. Mind, I've eaten in a good few places that apparently had such at the stove! (There muse be selection...I recall one chef knocked out last night remarking that he was proud to have got 'this far')?

Pro chefs who couldn't (didn't know) how to spatchcock a fowl, unreal. A truly shocking skills test for 5 of them.

no, why are you surprised? many many kitchen warriors are self taught and never have any basic skills training. So if what they cook doesn't require those basic skills, then they never learn to apply them.

I have many friends who are chefs including two who have 2 Michelin stars, and you'd be surprised at a varied skill level.

just don't mention razor clams:) More meltdown moments to savour. Still cabbage boy was a nice surprise. Wonder who the three will be after tonight's critic round?

just don't mention razor clams:) More meltdown moments to savour. Still cabbage boy was a nice surprise. Wonder who the three will be after tonight's critic round?

Yes cabbage boys idea seemed so OTT and overpowering we both thought it'd be a winner for some strange reason. I wonder if he has any other uni-veg dishes in store tonight?

Well, being surrounded by farmland, maybe curly kale crumble with carrot krisps? The invention test was made for him...ingredient? The Onion. He's through then :)

but I don't believe for a second that his is the opinion the chefs really want to hear
His (Greg's) vocabulary when it comes to describing food show just how out of his depth he is. The proper chefs can articulate the subtlety of what is properly good, particularly when they visit places like Mugaritz, but he just flounders.

advertisement

Back