advertisement

Massdrop HD650

Elephantears

Trunkated Aesthete
I'm tempted by the Massdrop HD6XX, their blue version of the HD650, at $199. But I'm not sure what the price will actually end up as, once VAT and customs are factored in. I can do a rough calculation of course, but can anyone who has had one delivered to the UK say how much it all added up to?

I'm also not sure if this is a way I want to go, as I don't see myself as a headphone user at home, but in the listening I've done, the 650 came out as my favourite at a reasonable price. Or should I just save the money and put it to something better? I wouldn't mind hearing the HiFiman 560, for instance.

Beeing in Scandinavia we have different VAT and customs, fwiw I paid eqvivalent to $75-80 in tax plus $15 postage
Still a good purchase imo , but a no brainer for US customers which get free ship and tax.

I hope Massdrop sooner or later will create some Europe based logistic not involving US shipping & customs for products made in Europe

Early days but the Massdrops 6XX certainly do compete, in some way better/different, than my current cans in this price range (K701 & Beyer DT250)
Running on recent aquired Violectric and Myryad HP amps, plenty of power in both for all these headphones.
Mine HD6XX are intended for larger scale symphonies etc, while the other two cans are for allmost anything else and if I need closed or open type

Hearing any of these three cans makes me wonder if its worth putting more money into this subject for stationary listening.

As the HD6XX are new the ear pressure is just a touch more than my other cans but surely this will be loosing up I hope
In generel I think its easier to find better comfort though, hardly easier to find better sound

I'd imagine a good amp is a must for HD6XX, I have not tried otherwise and my previous experience with other two cans, they certainly benefit from a proper dedicated amp.

Once heard a mates HD600 but never came on with these, strange as they should be very similar to HD650.

I also incline to the HD650 over the HD600. I've not done much testing, so its a slight prefernece rather than an extreme one. However I've now read about the HD660S, so perhaps I should wait until I hear that. If Sennheiser are gradually going to phase out the 650 for the 660S, then presumably prices of the 650 will come down, and there is less urgency to take up the deal from Massdrop.

From what I've read very briefly, the 660S has lower impedance, allowing usage direct from phone or laptop, and it has upgraded drivers. One mini-review said its approaching the resolution of 700 and 800 without the treble peaks, which sounds ideal. However I'd want to be sure it retains the easy appeal of the 650, since it may be that I prefer the slightly rolled off treble and overall warmth.

I also incline to the HD650 over the HD600. I've not done much testing, so its a slight prefernece rather than an extreme one. However I've now read about the HD660S, so perhaps I should wait until I hear that. If Sennheiser are gradually going to phase out the 650 for the 660S, then presumably prices of the 650 will come down, and there is less urgency to take up the deal from Massdrop.

From what I've read very briefly, the 660S has lower impedance, allowing usage direct from phone or laptop, and it has upgraded drivers. One mini-review said its approaching the resolution of 700 and 800 without the treble peaks, which sounds ideal. However I'd want to be sure it retains the easy appeal of the 650, since it may be that I prefer the slightly rolled off treble and overall warmth.
true report say that hd650 are better then hd660s.

The HD660s is allmost three fold the HD6XX price

I purchased HD598SR for mobile or iPad use, but would choose closed cans next time for this purpose

Surely not; the HD660S is £429. Going on what you've said above, the HD6XX is going to be something approaching $300 with taxes. Doing a quick conversion that's about £223, so a bit less than half. Actually that's cheaper than I thought! Maybe I should grab it after all. I thought the pound was even more shot to hell than that, so it is a good deal.

HD660 uses the HD700 driver I think. The hardcore (SBAF) thinks the 650 scales better with better equipment.

Surely not; the HD660S is £429. Going on what you've said above, the HD6XX is going to be something approaching $300 with taxes. Doing a quick conversion that's about £223, so a bit less than half. Actually that's cheaper than I thought! Maybe I should grab it after all. I thought the pound was even more shot to hell than that, so it is a good deal.

I got my new HD650's from a UK company for £290 plus free shipping.

https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/studio-headphones/sennheiser-hd650-open-headphones

AmazonUK had the HD650 on sale for £232 about a year ago (they're £319 now). I was very tempted, but since I already had the 600 and 800S it would have been a rather indulgent and probably irrational purchase, though I can't be certain of the latter as I've never actually listened to the 650.

I ordered a pair from massdrop in July . They are finally en route. I think massdrop is fun but not really worth it for UK. It is a pita getting surcharged by the post office because there is duty and vat due and having to go to collect. If they could work from eu location it would be a winner.
Can let you know how much it eventually costs when it finally arrives. Another week at least I fear

advertisement

Back