Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

mass shooting in Connecticut

Discussion in 'off topic' started by Joe P, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Obama's speech is well worth watching in it's entirety rather than relying on media-selceted soundbites. Perhaps a little god-heavy in parts for us atheists, but most impressive nonetheless.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2018
  2. Cav

Cav pfm Member

Words are cheap - where's the beef as they used to say.

3. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK Booyakashah, check out my avatar...

I was talking to an American colleague about this today. He had an interesting spin on it - he suggested that one reason for the 2nd amendment is not about forming a militia in times of crisis but also to keep the balance of power with the people to prevent a dictatorial government from taking over.

He also pointed out that there are already pretty stringent laws about who can own automatic weapons but policing them is pretty poor. Any more laws would just suffer the same fate.

4. Stu_cj

Stu_cj pfm Member

One of the things that shocked me most about this tragic event is that fact that the assault rifle was owned by his mother, a primary school teacher.

Whilst I can't understand why anyone would want to own a gun it seems doubly baffling in this case.

5. Martin D

Martin D Libertarian Division

6. flatpopely

flatpopely Prog Rock/Moderator

I think he might just actually do something. Handguns will never be banned in the US but assault weapons may be.

Try as I might I can't see why a human being wants to own any firearm but I admit that I hold a minority view and that its a cultural thing to Americans.

7. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

I have to laugh at this. Those military lookalike assault rifles are not going to be a whole lot of use when the dictatorial government sends Seal team 6 and some drones with hellfires after you.

Where were these NRA freedom lovers when the government passed the patriot act, engaged in extraordinary rendition, warrantless wiretapping etc etc ? Answer ... voting republican for more of the same.

8. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

Perhaps she was nuts.

9. Stu_cj

Stu_cj pfm Member

It's interesting that you used the word "fundamental" in your last paragraph. I read somewhere earlier today that ammending the constitution on the right to bear arms would be seen by many like trying to re-write the ten commandments.

The whole American arms attitude seems to be a form of "fundamentalism" which in all it's forms is usually dangerous.

My worry is that Obama will be his usual wishy washy self and not stand up to the "fundamentalists" that are insidious in American society.

10. gassor

gassor There may be more posts after this.

Its the old standing up in a seated stadium situation. If a bunch of people in front of you stand up, you have no option but to stand up as well and soon everyone is standing to see the game.

If you believe that many unfriendly types have access to guns and ammo and some of them could break into your house and threaten your family, what are you going to do, but protect your family the best way you can. I would stop at nothing.

11. gassor

So who are they that Obama has to stand up to?

12. TheDecameron

TheDecameron Unicorns fart glitter.

Gassor, you are the John Gotti of south Glasgow. He had an uncompromising approach to being burgled.

13. sean99

sean99 pfm Member

[​IMG]

14. gassor

I remember the burglar who ended up in a brawl with footballer Duncan Ferguson (ex Rangers) when he was caught raiding the star's home. He was jailed for four years.

The drug addict, from Walton, in Liverpool, required two days of hospital treatment following the incident with the 6 ft 4 footballer. Almost felt sorry for the guy, he had a lot of bruises and Big Dunc had a sore knee!

15. vuk

vuk \o/ choose anarchy

tony.

you could have embedded a few more ad-clicky-thingies in that youtube video?

quite a powerful speech indeed. i find it hard to imagine how any american could fail to be moved by it.

vuk.

16. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

Nothing to do with me, that's just how it is on YouTube. I selected that one as others I started viewing were either edited or had terrible sound.

17. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

Because I use them at work, and therefore *I* need them to maintain proficiency.

18. Teddy Ray

Teddy Ray pfm Member

It's just like illegal immigration, we have the laws, but they're not enforced. They're not enforced and illegal immigration and shootings are off the charts.. We could also start by enforcing the laws that we have. If you have a business selling weapons without conducting a background check, slam them (heavy fine, stiff prison sentence, loss of licenses, AND loss of business), and I guarantee they'll start following the law. Get rid of places that have weapons that belong only in the military. Clean up the guns that are in the streets. ABOLISH THE ****ING GUN SHOWS.

19. pure sound

pure sound Trade: manufacturer/distributor

But why advocate that any one else (other than those who have a professional need) should own a gun? It just isn't necessary. You can get through life without them.

20. zener

zener fluff

In the USA you have pass a driving test. Nuff said really.