advertisement

Mass Deck?

One other thing

I'm only going by my Dais, but that 1"+ washer may be for the armboard; possibly where it bolts onto the pillar (but you should have 2?) The only rings on mine are the rubber ones which occupy the grooves in the platter exterior (leaving one for the belt). Was this second-hand or new, Vinny? Must look up the Hyperspace, but surely it has two armboards?

Second-hand deck.

I will try to be careful in use of the names of parts, but if something seems nonsense, please say as I will have got something wrong.

The whole of the base came in just three principle parts, plus the non-adjustable leg and the motor assembly. The actual base itself, with bearing assembly, the front support that screws to the base (three coarse thread woodscrews), and an arm assembly - possibly/probably supplied from new as several parts.
The arm assembly as delivered is the blacked part that attaches to the base using a dowel and bolt, and 3 columns, plus what I assume is called the armboard - circular, two part with what would pass as a SME type adjustment slot.

The instructions say that a second armboard can be fitted by rearranging what attaches to the base for just one armboard.

The platter has five grooves - three large radius and two small radius ones at the bottom - the two bottom ones for the drive belt, giving 33 and 45 rpm when the belt is also shifted on the motor pulley.

The instructions here are as available online.

Yes the instructions and packaging are basic but sufficient, when I bought my first Hyperspace 20 years ago it came with no instructions but as you say a simple construction so not really required.

Though you do need to understand Tom Fletcher’s “tight enough to stop it falling apart and no more” thinking on bolt-tightness! NA kit really is the polar opposite to Linn and much conventional thinking here and only really sings when setup as intended. The thinking being you never ever want to build a drum or other resonant structure. It is designed to be absolutely inert, so with things like the arm pods etc just do the bolts up until they stop, don’t apply much if any torque beyond this.

PS This all directly from Tom, I had the pleasure of meeting him a couple of times.

Thanks, so do I.
It will have a run against the LP12 for a few weeks and we shall see. At some stage it or the PT1 will go - as much as I like the PT1, I do prefer the LP12 overall and two decks for one system is daft, three is insane (IMO, of course :) ).

One other thing - there are 4 foam rubber O rings, quick check, identical. Presumably one sits in the groove between platter and graphite mat? (The instructions only mention 2 and show a platter with only 2 grooves - the one here has 3, plus the 2 for the drive belt.)

Yes, one sits in the groove between the platter and graphite mat, the much older Hyperspace shown in the pics had a lighter platter which only had two grooves.

Though you do need to understand Tom Fletcher’s “tight enough to stop it falling apart and no more” thinking on bolt-tightness!

To be honest, anyone would be very foolish indeed to go at it like a bull at a gate - the base is only a reasonably soft composite board, just dense enough to take a loaded woodscrew. Try anything heavy-handed and the base will distort.

Bearing that in mind, I will double check stuff that arrived pre-assembled. Thanks

I'm only going by my Dais, but that 1"+ washer may be for the armboard; possibly where it bolts onto the pillar (but you should have 2?) The only rings on mine are the rubber ones which occupy the grooves in the platter exterior (leaving one for the belt). Was this second-hand or new, Vinny? Must look up the Hyperspace, but surely it has two armboards?

No, just the one armboard, though a second may be fitted in place of the leg at 10 o'clock , normally moving the motor to 7 o'clock

Second-hand deck.

I will try to be careful in use of the names of parts, but if something seems nonsense, please say as I will have got something wrong.

The whole of the base came in just three principle parts, plus the non-adjustable leg and the motor assembly. The actual base itself, with bearing assembly, the front support that screws to the base (three coarse thread woodscrews), and an arm assembly - possibly/probably supplied from new as several parts.
The arm assembly as delivered is the blacked part that attaches to the base using a dowel and bolt, and 3 columns, plus what I assume is called the armboard - circular, two part with what would pass as a SME type adjustment slot.

The instructions say that a second armboard can be fitted by rearranging what attaches to the base for just one armboard.

The platter has five grooves - three large radius and two small radius ones at the bottom - the two bottom ones for the drive belt, giving 33 and 45 rpm when the belt is also shifted on the motor pulley.

The instructions here are as available online.

To be honest, anyone would be very foolish indeed to go at it like a bull at a gate - the base is only a reasonably soft composite board, just dense enough to take a loaded woodscrew. Try anything heavy-handed and the base will distort.

Bearing that in mind, I will double check stuff that arrived pre-assembled. Thanks

That all sounds correct, Tony is right, everything should be tightened just tight enough.

Is it the same diameter as the support leg? I think I remember a large plastic washer that fitted in between the leg and the main body.
A quick call to NA will give you a definite answer
Still the mystery of the black plastic penny washer :)

The diameter is just over the leg diameter, maybe 2mm over. Logic says that it ought to be on the leg or the joint for the armboard assembly, on the dowel bolt.

Not sure why it'd be on the leg as the leg itself is turned plastic.

Still the mystery of the black plastic penny washer :)

Ring Penny or Adam at N.A. on 01773 762947 (hope that no. is up-to-date). Both are helpful. B.t.w., can't find details on Google; does this come with the Wave Mechanic?

I have just dropped NA a mail from their website.

No, no wave mechanic - I haven't seen a WM for sale for a NA deck, or as part of a second-hand sale. See how things go, at this stage it is just extra expense/a nice-to-have. I am sure that I will will get a good idea of what it sounds like as is, and if I do like the sound, a WM would likely appear on the shopping list, although not mahoosively expensive new, but hardly peanuts either? Around £600? There is one on the Bay but for Analogue Works motor/deck.

a WM would likely appear on the shopping list, although not mahoosively expensive new, but hardly peanuts either? Around £600?

WMs come on to the market (Ebay etc.) at around the £300 to £350 mark. Didn't know they were £600 !!! My Dais comes with it +2 armboards . Have read that your platter is ally (+ graphite) as opposed to the Dais' spun iron. Didn't know there were those differences.

The diameter is just over the leg diameter, maybe 2mm over. Logic says that it ought to be on the leg or the joint for the armboard assembly, on the dowel bolt.

Not sure why it'd be on the leg as the leg itself is turned plastic.

I have remembered, whenever I bought the second armboard for the rear left hand side and went to fit it there was a large plastic washer between the rear leg and the main body, I'm 99% sure that's where it goes but NA should confirm this.

Just checked the platter with a magnet - it is too massive to judge from weight what it is made from. Completely non-magnetic - it would need an unnecessarily expensive grade of SS to be that non-magnetic..

I have just dropped NA a mail from their website.

No, no wave mechanic - I haven't seen a WM for sale for a NA deck, or as part of a second-hand sale. See how things go, at this stage it is just extra expense/a nice-to-have. I am sure that I will will get a good idea of what it sounds like as is, and if I do like the sound, a WM would likely appear on the shopping list, although not mahoosively expensive new, but hardly peanuts either? Around £600? There is one on the Bay but for Analogue Works motor/deck.

I did buy a WM for the Hyperspace I owned directly from Dr Martin Bastin, definitely a worthwhile upgrade if you like the Hyperspace .

Jut raised on another thread - turntable mats. The hyperspace has a "graphite mat", but as @Tony L says, this is hard and will not be kind to playing surfaces. What do people use/recommend?

Correct @Darren L, about the spacer - thanks.

Still waiting for some bearing oil to arrive..........

Jut raised on another thread - turntable mats. The hyperspace has a "graphite mat", but as @Tony L says, this is hard and will not be kind to playing surfaces. What do people use/recommend?

Correct @Darren L, about the spacer - thanks.

Still waiting for some bearing oil to arrive..........

You should have said Vinny, I could of sent you a little bottle, I haven't any turntable mat at present but when I had the Hyperspace I used a Ringmat ( must buy another) this was to protect the LP surface and due to its small size makes the lifting and flipping of LPs much easier when the deck is spinning. Whether it made any difference to the sound I don't know as I never used the Hyperspace without it, it did however banish the horrible nasal quality that pollutes acrylic platter on the previous Voyd TT.

Many thanks - no problem - the deck was advertised as complete etc., which in my books means oil - I am not even going to tidy things up and fit the platter, to get it out of the way, without oil.

The original felt mat on my LP12 drove me totally nuts as it almost without fail, stuck to a record due to static. I hadn't had it long before I bought a Goldring anti-stat mat, now seemingly a thing of the ancient past, otherwise, I'd buy another.

I'll have a hunt and see what is available as I am no great believer in miracle mats (so have steered well clear) and am totally disinclined to start pumping money into that avenue.

Thanks again.

advertisement

Back