advertisement

Mass Deck?

Vinny

pfm Member
What is the minimum, in terms of model and used price, that is going to give me a real appreciation of what a mass deck can do/how they sound?

I have an LP12 that is going nowhere and an untouched (apart from service) PT1 that might find a new owner. The PT1 (Orion II arm and Delos) is very, very musical, but lacks bass and bass definition compared to the LP12 (Plinnk, Cirkus, FXR and Delos). (Just by way of information as to where I am at the moment.)

I have amongst my considerable collection of crackpot theories one relating to just this. Two of my favourite turntables, the iron-subplatter TD-124 and the EMT 927 & 930 have relatively high rotational mass (the 124 is about 5kg, the EMT I suspect a lot higher), but the top part of the platter is very light and effectively decoupled from that mass. Yay! Best of both worlds! Certainly to my ears they have exceptional speed stability/pitch coupled with the lightness of touch and dynamic impact one associates with lower mass designs. Obviously some of the subjective thing may be down to high-torque of an idler vs. low-torque of a belt, but I still have a feeling there is something to it!

I’m certainly not convinced mass for mass sake is a good idea. Quite the reverse actually.

he other usual recommendation is Notts.

The cheapest entry would be via Nott'g Analogue (I have the Dais). These have very low-torque motors, so need a shove to start. Another benefit of mass decks is their ability to carry two plus 12" arms as well as 10" and 9", though separate arm-boards are required (cheap with N.A., not with the beautiful T.W. Acustic Raven AC, e.g.) Systemdecks are mass decks as well.

What weight of platter qualifies as a mass deck? No idea, but I doubt that anything under 10kg (the Dais is over 23kg) called be called that. They are completely stable platforms for records and a multitude of arms, unlike many suspended decks which need an element of balancing for different arms.

I might have to revert to another format as I'm getting a bit fragile to lift my platter off for occasional maintenance. I'm toying with the only type of deck (apart from magnetic creations) that I've not had; a direct drive but I'd never revert to 9" arms, if only for the tactile advantages they have.

What is the minimum, in terms of model and used price, that is going to give me a real appreciation of what a mass deck can do/how they sound?

)

I'd recommend you have a listen to a NA Hyperspace, coupled with a quality unipivot, it will give you a real appreciation of what a high mass TT sounds like. That's not to say there's anything wrong with the Interspace or Spacedeck models, but IME going from a Gyrodec- Voyd Ref- Hyperspace, the Hyperspace was a considerable improvement in every aspect.

I might have to revert to another format as I'm getting a bit fragile to lift my platter off for occasional maintenance. I'm toying with the only type of deck (apart from magnetic creations) that I've not had; a direct drive but I'd never revert to 9" arms, if only for the tactile advantages they have.

Brinkmann?

If I was going to change my Dais, Brinkmann TTs would be my first choice for demonstration.

Thanks all so far.

The price point seems to be moderately consistent, coming out around £2K if I figure in sale of the PT1/Orion.

What is it you're actually looking for here and what makes you think a high-mass turntable might give you it? To be honest, it's a bit like assessing the performance of a car based on the size of the glovebox.

I like the idea of a high rotational mass but not the effect on bearing noise and lifespan

What is it you're actually looking for here and what makes you think a high-mass turntable might give you it? To be honest, it's a bit like assessing the performance of a car based on the size of the glovebox.

I had never heard a PT1, but had wondered for over 30 years, so I bought one. I have never heard a mass deck and it strikes me that the simplest option there would be to buy one.

I have never driven a RR, but have no intention of buying a RR glove box to sort that one out (or indeed, to buy the whole shooting match, come to that).

If I was going to change my Dais, Brinkmann TTs would be my first choice for demonstration.

Have just looked at the selection on their website, and the only one which aesthetically pleases me as looking like a 'proper' t/t is the Sinus (what a name!) and heavens knows how much that costs even if available here. Nope, direct drive (Technics SP10R @ around £7K is at least affordable and comes with superlative reviews (from owner friend as well). It's also a case of 'been there, done that etc....for my situation.

Notwithstanding its agricultural aesthetics, my Dais is utterly dependable and an advance, for me, over my previous Orbe, Xerxes and LP12 among others.

Having not looked at any second-hand prices prior, it looks like I might struggle to justify enough to do the principle justice - I had naively hoped/assumed that the sale of the PT1 would make a large dent, but very roughly 30% seems somewhere around the most that it would contribute.

Something, plenty, to think about......

Have just looked at the selection on their website, and the only one which aesthetically pleases me as looking like a 'proper' t/t is the Sinus (what a name!) and heavens knows how much that costs even if available here. Nope, direct drive (Technics SP10R @ around £7K is at least affordable and comes with superlative reviews (from owner friend as well). It's also a case of 'been there, done that etc....for my situation.

Notwithstanding its agricultural aesthetics, my Dais is utterly dependable and an advance, for me, over my previous Orbe, Xerxes and LP12 among others.

The Sinus is just the motor, not a TT, that's the Balance TT in the picture on the webpage. They are available in England, they are pretty pricey, the Bardo starting at just over £5K.

advertisement

Back