advertisement

Mary Wilson of The Supremes has died

Sad news. RIP Mary. It seems there was no warning of Mary's passing.

As I see it that only leaves Diana Ross from the 'classic' line up of the Supremes, as Florence Ballard died tragically young (32) in 1976, after a very troubled life.

For what it's worth, I never much liked Diana Ross's thin and (to me ) 'whiney' voice, though it didn't spoil the big hits for me.

All is explained in detail here for those who, like me, are fascinated by the 'family trees' of pop music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Supremes

And here is one of the Supremes first singles with Motown which was their most successful prior to their breakthrough.. though it only reached no 90 in the US Billboard Hot 100 charts

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Me_Go_the_Right_Way

Frankly. Ross was already annoying in this vid... But it seems Berry Gordy was 'very interested' in her..:rolleyes:

Edit. The vid above can't be embedded.. so.. if you can't be ****d going to Youtube, try this one:

More number 1s in America than the Beatles, five no 1s on the trot and largely forgotten about nowadays, tragic.

Loved the Supremes, my sisters never stopped listening to Motown so I grew up with it.

La Ross was pish BTW.

RIP Mary.

More number 1s in America than the Beatles, five no 1s on the trot and largely forgotten about nowadays, tragic.

Loved the Supremes, my sisters never stopped listening to Motown so I grew up with it.

La Ross was pish BTW.

RIP Mary.

The Beatles had more No.1s (20) than the Supremes (12). Between August 1964 to May 1967, the Supremes had 10 No.1s with only the Beatles having more in that period. It would have been more if Holland Dozier & Holland didn't jump ship.

They were one my favourite groups. It was the whole product, the songs, the production and image.

Sad to hear the news of the death of The Supremes singer, Mary Wilson.

Mary was a member of one of the most successful groups in popular music. Her style and image, along with great songs, helped to transform the musicial outlook of the world.

As a member of the The Supremes, she dominated the charts in the 60s. Between start of 1964 to the end of 1967, only the Beatles had more No1 singles in the USA. The Supremes had 10 in that period, and 12 overall.

Her legacy to the world, is that she was instrumental in the promotion of the classic Motown sound. People grew up loving the Motown sound. It is a love that is still strong in many people today. I can vouch for this as a fan and a DJ.

The Supremes were one of my favourite groups on Motown, and I am thankful for the great music they provided over the years.

R.I.P. Mary Wilson

advertisement

Back