advertisement

Marvin Hagler RIP

One of the absolute greats at one of the most competitive weights. Will never forget those disgraceful scenes when he beat the local boy Alan Minter. I doubt he ever forgot that graceless display, fortunately others appeciated his amazing talent.

Met him at a Sportsman's Boxing Evening a few years back. A wonderful man. He answered every question then chatted for hours latter on. He also had a wicked sense of humour. Magnificent boxer. Probably one of the best. And I have no doubt in my mind he won the Sugar Ray fight.

I gasped out loud when I read the title of this thread. What a shock. Great fighter; easily up there with the with the Greats. An artist friend of mine from East London sent me a wood cut print of the Minter Hagler fight as a preszy, and I was so chuffed with it that a couple of weeks ago I watched the fight again from beginning to end, including the controversy at the weigh in, the singing (or rather roaring) of the national anthem, booing Hagler and the American anthem and then displaying to the world just what Bad-Losers the Brits are.

RIP Marvin.

Met him at a Sportsman's Boxing Evening a few years back. A wonderful man. He answered every question then chatted for hours latter on. He also had a wicked sense of humour. Magnificent boxer. Probably one of the best. And I have no doubt in my mind he won the Sugar Ray fight.
He was a true great and was my favourite fighter but I remember feeling, begrudgingly, that sugar Ray probably won, albeit hagler deserved credit, and points, as the aggressor. It was a very divisive fight it seems. I saw it twice back then and made up my mind. I wonder if I'd see it differently now. I'm unlikely to rewatch it, so will never know!

I desperately wanted Hagler to win the fight against Leonard but despite being the aggressor I have to acknowledge he lost. What pisses me off though is that everyone talked about Sugar Ray coming out of retirement .. By the time the fight actually happened Mr Haggler hadn't fought for a long time himself. Smart on the Leonard management but galling.

advertisement

Back