Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

[FS] Martin Logan Aerius Electrostatic Speaakers

Discussion in 'classifieds' started by flinx, Jun 12, 2021.

1. flinx

flinx pfm Member

Fired these up after a long while. I had forgotten just how good these are. There is the expected electrostatic speed and transparency of the mids and highs, but there is also a good amount of useful bass provided by the active woofers that integrate very well with the rest of the sound, and to my mind pretty much seamlessly in fact.
    These are in very good condition, with no cosmetic issues of note. The crossover components were upgraded before I got them. The original components were kept and are available should the next owner wishes to restore them to original.
    I don't have the original jumpers. The ones that are on them are lash ups made from left overs from a cable that was used for a DIY pure silver interconnect.
    A couple of very heavy custom steel plates are included. These bolt onto the bottom of the speakers. They add stability and also tighten up the bass a tad.
    £500 collected from Cheshire.

Plenty of write ups on these, here's a couple for starters.
    https://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/312/index.html

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_7_2/martin-logan-aerius-i-5-2000.html

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zeon

zeon pfm Member

Bargin ( imo )

3. Big Tabs

Big Tabs “telling it like it isn’t...”

mmm… that looks interesting.

The Wife is saying a lot, without speaking. In a negative sense.

£500 sounds very good value. mmm…

Rob998, AnilS and szczemirek like this.
  4. Funk

Funk pfm Member

Ooh, I've always loved the idea of ML electrostatics but I'd be concerned at how fussy they are regarding placement; are they particularly unforgiving in this regard?

5. flinx

flinx pfm Member

I didn't find them difficult for placement at all, no more so than any other pair of speakers I've owned. Maybe I just got lucky. Gave them good space all round, approx 2/3 feet and 'usual/normal triangle' configuration between speakers and listener. Slight toe in and achieved good 3D sound stage with voices 'floating' in the middle.

6. ellamoo

ellamoo pfm Member

I concur - have had a few pairs in my time including Aerius and placement quite easy - and at one point that was living in a small cottage.

7. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Think they are like any other ESL, despite the bass box. As near to side wall as you like and a metre or thereabouts (could be less) behind. M.Ls do have a narrower (30 degree?) projection than standard ESLs (but may depend upon the model) so worth having that isosceles triangle a bit taller/thinner than usual unless you only have a chair rather than a sofa accommodating more pairs of ears.

8. Paul L

Paul L coffee lounge for me

That’s the approach I have used with my Aerius i Mike.

I have replacement panels sitting waiting in their box (took time for them to come over from the US during lockdown) and the ML tucked away for the past 3 months or so. Meanwhile I’ve been listening to my recently acquired Rega RS10 for the past month and they are blowing me away so will be an interesting shootout later in the year when the room treatment is done (to tone down hand-clap-type echoing and inevitable sound smearing from walls and floor) and I get to compare the ML and RS10 directly. I suspect one will then go but I feel spoilt with either to be honest.

9. paulfromcamden

paulfromcamden Baffled

They look like a fantastic buy for someone GLWS

10. Central Audio

Central Audio Trade Central Audio

A lot of speaker for the money.

11. flinx

flinx pfm Member

Had a couple of people interested but unable to collect due to distance. Still just waiting for someone within pick up distance :)

12. Rug Doc

Rug Doc pfm Member

Again, I’d take them if we were closer! I’m GU10.

13. ntom

ntom pfm Member

Fot £500 I'm halfway to convincing myself I need them just in case. And I've already got a pair. A bargain & great starting point for anyone wishing to try electrostatics without breaking the bank or going too OTT. If you are into anything acoustic / vocal (& much more), you'll love these. (& easily bi-amped)

14. flinx

flinx pfm Member

What do they say, every audiophile should own a pair of electrostatic speakers at least once. Imho so true. :)

15. flinx

flinx pfm Member

Now sold.