advertisement

Marmalade

I can't believe it's not marmalade!

PXL-20220805-201744767.jpg

Given this for wrangling a neighbours menagerie while they visited Portugal.
Only other ingredient is cane sugar.
Informed by neighbours it's good thinly sliced and served with cheese, so that's the plan.

get some good Manchego

My late father in law used to make industrial strength marmalade every year - brilliant stuff! He used to bottle it into old coffee jars. Unfortunetely, my wife is not keen on marmalade, and also I find many shop alternatives too sweet. My current favourite is Maribel Thick Cut from Lidl. Not outrageously expensive.

Informed by neighbours it's good thinly sliced and served with cheese, so that's the plan.

You can buy it in the UK - usually called quince cheese here - fruit cheeses are just very high fruit, very low sugar jams. They are usually used as an accompaniment to something savoury. The only other that I have seen around in deli's etc. has been damson cheese.
I like quince cheese with semi-hard, creamy-flavoured cheeses.
I have made it, but it is a faff - far more so than marmalade.

I've made marmalade for years, and it's pretty bomb proof. I've made marmalade and missed the set, then dumped it all back in a pan the next day (with extra water flushed between the jars to get the last of the jam out), reduced some more and re-potted, and it's been excellent.

I personally like a sharp marmalade, and but definitely sweet, so it's extra lemon that does it for me. I guess it all depends on how much you want on a piece of toast. I would probably avoid reducing the sugar too much as it lowers the boiling point as the jam reduces which affects how the pectin works. I have read that you can over-boil and kill the pectin too, but i've tried hard (believe me!) and this has never happened to me.

I'll also say, if you really like sharp, then the best is home made lemon curd, you can go properly tart which isn't available in the shops, and again, it's easy. It apparently goes off if you don't keep open jars in the fridge, but frankly, an open jar doesn't last long enough in our household to find out.

This is basically it - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lemon-curd

I don't sieve it though, it all goes in the jar. I guess it depends on what sort of grater you have to generate the zest, and whether you're precious about occasionally getting bits between your teeth. I use one of those microplane jobbies and like the bits, but sieve if you want a smooth result.

this no 9 is indeed excellent, possibly a little sweeter than I would want, but delicious. Might use a teaspoon in a Negroni later.....

But what an awful company to deal with. The marmalade arrived yesterday, nearly 3 weeks after I ordered. No comms, no dispatch notification, no responses to emails, no responses to their own online enquiry form.

It’s surprising how some companies make things painful, a quick email is hardly difficult. It’s lovely stuff though, glad you like it.

But what an awful company to deal with. The marmalade arrived yesterday, nearly 3 weeks after I ordered. No comms, no dispatch notification, no responses to emails, no responses to their own online enquiry form.

From reading the purple prose on their website, I would surmise that they were too busy trying to climb up their backsides to be bothered with such trivialities.

PXL-20220805-201744767.jpg

Quince fruit in Portugal is called Marmelo ence Marmelada.
That is the origin of the Marmalade name.

In the student days we used to get these big tins of Seville thick-cut marmalade; uncut white loaves and butter. Get stoned then spend the evening taking turns to make super thick toast. We often got through two loaves between the five of us. Happy days!

advertisement

Back