Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Marmalade

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gintonic, Jul 31, 2022.

1. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

get some good Manchego

klfrs likes this.
  2. klfrs

klfrs chill out

Now you're talking!

3. Ian Hughes

Ian Hughes pfm Member

My late father in law used to make industrial strength marmalade every year - brilliant stuff! He used to bottle it into old coffee jars. Unfortunetely, my wife is not keen on marmalade, and also I find many shop alternatives too sweet. My current favourite is Maribel Thick Cut from Lidl. Not outrageously expensive.

4. gintonic

klfrs likes this.
  5. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

You can buy it in the UK - usually called quince cheese here - fruit cheeses are just very high fruit, very low sugar jams. They are usually used as an accompaniment to something savoury. The only other that I have seen around in deli's etc. has been damson cheese.
    I like quince cheese with semi-hard, creamy-flavoured cheeses.
    I have made it, but it is a faff - far more so than marmalade.

6. gintonic

I've had a blackcurrant fruit cheese

7. Cesare

Cesare pfm Member

I've made marmalade for years, and it's pretty bomb proof. I've made marmalade and missed the set, then dumped it all back in a pan the next day (with extra water flushed between the jars to get the last of the jam out), reduced some more and re-potted, and it's been excellent.

I personally like a sharp marmalade, and but definitely sweet, so it's extra lemon that does it for me. I guess it all depends on how much you want on a piece of toast. I would probably avoid reducing the sugar too much as it lowers the boiling point as the jam reduces which affects how the pectin works. I have read that you can over-boil and kill the pectin too, but i've tried hard (believe me!) and this has never happened to me.

I'll also say, if you really like sharp, then the best is home made lemon curd, you can go properly tart which isn't available in the shops, and again, it's easy. It apparently goes off if you don't keep open jars in the fridge, but frankly, an open jar doesn't last long enough in our household to find out.

This is basically it - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lemon-curd

I don't sieve it though, it all goes in the jar. I guess it depends on what sort of grater you have to generate the zest, and whether you're precious about occasionally getting bits between your teeth. I use one of those microplane jobbies and like the bits, but sieve if you want a smooth result.

klfrs likes this.