Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Marmalade

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gintonic, Jul 31, 2022.

1. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

Plenty of recipes on the 'net. BBC Food will provide more than enough instruction.

2. stevec67

stevec67 pfm Member

They make the process control a bloody sight easier. Yes, you can get the set point using skill, experience and judgement instead of a thermometer, just like you can drive car at the speed limit without a speedo, but an accurate measure makes the job a damn sight easier.

westsea likes this.
  3. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

I go for a big wrinkle when doing my plum lime and ginger because I add the lime juice at the end so it thins out the jam.

Pete

4. Rodrat

Rodrat pfm Member

Coincidently, I purchased some seville marmalade from dalmain last week directly from her shop. I was able to taste a few. Pan told me that she could not get above a silver award until she struck upon mixing two thirds fresh fruit to one third frozen fruit. The water content is different in the frozen fruit. She now has a gold.

5. dweezil

dweezil pfm Member

I think everything is covered in the thread but could add that timing of the sugar addition can push to a more caramelised Frank Cooper type of colour and flavour when you add early and a brighter marmalade when added later.

I usually do one of each if filling two pans.

6. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Has peel been done? Most important part of DIY marmalade, i.m.o. I tend to freeze peel from various citrus fruit months in advance, just to add to the balance. Had I been a woman my name would be Emma.

7. Barrymagrec

Barrymagrec pfm Member

As it is then presumably your name should be Twice?

8. Rockmeister

Rockmeister pfm Member

All down to the peel content for me. My 2 pals both make thei own in late winter when the Seville oranges arrive. One uses masses of chunky peel, and one doesn't.
    Both are lovely but I'm a chunks man and mrs me isn't so that works well.

9. phil_644

phil_644 Member

I quite like Mackay's Seville Orange Marmalade, easily available from Tesco and Sainsbury...

10. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

Desir de Corse - 3 Agrumes.

It's the master of marmalades. All other marmalades live in its shadow.

11. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Never heard of it, but if it's commercially made, home-made marmalade can beat it. It's just a pity that unlike jam making, which is a doddle, marmalade making is at least 3 or 4 times more labour intensive. It's also longer, I find, to get that precise setting point which leaves you with stuff you can spoon out when cold rather than pour out or end up as marmalade concrete.

I used to add various spirits and liqueurs to mine (rum and whisky + cointreau etc. but if added afterwards it thins the mix and regardless, the resultant flavour, unless you like that sort of thing, tends to mask the pure marmalade piquancy.

Barrymagrec likes this.
  12. klfrs

klfrs chill out

Guru lady marmalade

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Lady Marmalade by a guru

chiily likes this.
  13. Conan

Conan Loop digger

Real Marmalade is actually made with quince (marmelo in Portuguese, ence the name)

Mike Reed likes this.
  14. richardg

richardg Admonishtrator

You could be right, I thought he was asking more about brands.

Desir de Corse is just slightly bitter, spoons off as you describe and is consistent; no runny bit with a gloopy bit on your spoon. And the rind is chopped, which I find is a better in-gob experience than stringy rind.

15. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

To my mind and practice, 'chunky' is the right adjective for ideal peel. :)

16. Suffolk Tony

Suffolk Tony Aim low, achieve your goals, avoid disappointment.

Certo.

17. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

this thread is slowly coming to a sticky end.

I dont think i'll be making any soon as i dont eat enough of the stuff. But i think i will buy something from a place recommended.

klfrs likes this.
  18. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

I use to make my own very much like you describe. Shop bought just isn't the same.

Hmm, I'll have another go next Feb.

19. Mike Reed

Mike Reed pfm Member

Actually, Chilly, my ante-penultimate batch was made in November/December simply from common or garden oranges plus lemons, grapefruit and a couple of limes. Reason was that Sainsbury's were selling off surplus and soon to expire stocks at silly prices; as I can resist anything except temptation I came home with an inordinate amount. The marmalade turned out as good as any other batch. Sure, Sevilles are the right choice (more pips if less juice) but not an absolute requirement for waiting until everybody else is being creative. Maybe this should be a sticky?

20. chiily

chiily PFM Special Builder

That's even more tempting Mike. I shall keep my eyes peeled (did you see what I did there?).

Great tip mind you!

Mike Reed likes this.