Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Marmalade

Discussion in 'off topic' started by gintonic, Jul 31, 2022.

1. gintonic

gintonic 50 shades of grey pussy cats

give us your favourite. Needs to be nice and bitter. Not sweet.

Am thinking of making something interesting.

2. Bob McC

Bob McC Living the life of Riley

Reflections of my Life was my favourite.

MikeMA and Seeker_UK like this.
  3. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

4. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Not a huge fan of anything but orange.
    I used to buy Frank Cooper Original Vintage, but that hasn't be available in Tecso's for months. Almost as good - Tesco Finest - Dark Seville.

If you spend only a little time searching online, LOTS of home-made preserve fanatics make marmalade from just the peel - freeze any citrus peel as it is available until they have enough for a batch.

5. gintonic

6. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

I make my own, it's easy, although Seville oranges are only available in the local greengrocer for a few weeks each year, usually around February, so I buy a few kilos and make enough to last a year.

Assuming a kilo of oranges, put them in enough boiling water to cover them and simmer in a large covered pan for a couple of hours. Remove the oranges and let them cool a bit, keep the liquid. Scoop all the pulp and seeds out of the oranges and force it all through a sieve into the liquid. Finely chop the peel and add that, all of it. Add a bit more water, and sugar to taste (I use less than most people because I like it bitter), and a bit of lemon juice for the pectin. Boil it up for 25 minutes or so and then pour it into warmed sterilised jars. Best marmalade ever.

chiily, Darmok and Rockmeister like this.
  7. gintonic

this is the bit I am interested in. Any idea how much for a 1kg of oranges

8. narabdela

narabdela who?

Bonne Maman Bitter Orange is the current favourite chez nous.

Snufkin likes this.
  9. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

Although there's a lot of pectin in oranges, you still need enough sugar to create the right chemistry for the marmalade to set properly. Just google a few recipes and figures out the least you can get away with, my guess is it will be not much less than the original weight of the oranges.

10. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Mot recipes add one lemon to around 1kg or Seville oranges.
    Sugar varies from 1:1 with oranges to 2:1 with oranges.

You do add water but then boil/reduce until you get a set.

gintonic likes this.
  11. gintonic

arnt Seville oranges higher in pectin which might allow for less sugar

sideshowbob likes this.
  12. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

Simple maths required - :)

Frank Cooper is moderately sharp.
    Made with 30% Seville oranges
    Seville oranges are around 10% sugar (so, they contribute - ? to the sugar content? Not much)
    Total sugars in Frank Cooper - around 50%

Looks like you need 1-1.5 : 1 sugar to oranges.

gintonic likes this.
  13. gintonic

thank you - useful

14. doctorf

doctorf left footed right winger

My wife makes fantastic marmalade with Seville oranges, but they are in the shops around the turn of the year, not mid summer.

15. cj66

cj66 pfm Member

Unfortunately no clue on the recipe but while in Spain, a very lovely English expat lady, made her own from locally grown Seville oranges.
    The most amazing marmalade I have ever tasted. She made both sweet and bitter, my wife loved the sweet and I devoured the bitter.
    I have never since encountered it's equal.
    Thank you Dianne.

Sue Pertwee-Tyr and gintonic like this.
  16. Vinny

Vinny pfm Member

So far as pectin is concerned - you need enough to get a set, and I BELIEVE that oranges aren't as high as lemons - hence you add lemon juice (or pectin - can't remember the name, but in a bottle), to things like strawberry jam, which has all but none, so won't set.

Apples have plenty too - easily extracted by boiling skins and cores.

17. Pete MB&D

Pete MB&D Pete Maddex, the one and only!

Home made is best, I make all my own jams and it’s going to be a bumper crop this year, so blackberry, plum lime and ginger, and mirabell and orange, I need to buy some jam jars.

Pete

18. Ponty

Ponty pfm Member

Give them a call, I’m sure they’d be delighted to discuss. Alternatively order them all and see which you prefer!

gintonic likes this.
  19. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian

Time for me to fess up. I have competed many times in the World Marmalade Awards ( all the way from Canada ) and won many bronze and silver certificates - though gold still eludes me by half a point. Anyhow - here is one of the best preserve makers - Pam Corbin's recipe.
    https://www.dalemain.com/pam-corbins-seville-orange-marmalade/
    (Two parts sugar to one of fruit )
    There are also videos of her on the You Tube.

Happy jammin'

Wright, Darmok, Snufkin and 5 others like this.
  20. sideshowbob

sideshowbob Champagne fascia aficionado

Most recipes suggest anything up to twice as much sugar as Seville oranges. But I use less - I tend to use 1.4 kilos of sugar to 1 kilo of oranges.