advertisement

Mariss Jansons RIP

alanbeeb

pfm Member
In honour of the great conductor who died at the weekend, what were your favourite recordings of his?
Dvorak 8th - Concertgebouw
Sibelius 2nd - Oslo Philharmonic
Mahler 7 - BRSO

Simon Rattle described him as the "best of all of us".

Reading just the other day about Sinopoli’s death at the podium in the wider context of conductors collapsing in concert. Happened to Jansons and to his dad (who also died).

I don’t know how I missed this. I put on the Berlin Digital Concert Hall tonight and saw a concert entitled “ Mariss Jansons: on the first anniversary of his death” and couldn’t believe it. I’ve watched him conduct about 12 times since the 80s with the Oslo Philharmonic, Pittsburgh, Concertgebouw and Bavarian RSO.
I’ve only heard one performance I didn’t like- his Mahler 5 which was leaden and dark. I knew about his family history of heart problems and wondered when he might retire, not aware that his condition had become overwhelming. What a great loss- I had imagined he might have succeeded Rattle in Berlin a few years ago. His funeral took place where it all began for both he and his father, St. Petersburg.

Most memorable performance: Also Sprach Zarathustra, Sibelius 2 with the Bavarian RSO in 2007
RIP

Here’s a pic of him in his early days as assistant to Mravinsky in Leningrad when Karajan tried to poach him.

mNzILSu.jpg

I remember the excitement created by his tours in the West with the Leningrad Philharmonic after years of relative isolation under Mravinsky.
Interestingly Rattle is apparently in negotiations with the BVRSO which would mean his departure from the LSO, which I can’t quite believe but perhaps political events here have altered matters...
https://slippedisc.com/2020/12/just-in-simon-rattle-embraces-munich/

Wouldn't blame him frankly...the BRSO are probably the best orchestra in world. But his UK fanbase might get a bit offended.

Wouldn't blame him frankly...the BRSO are probably the best orchestra in world. But his UK fanbase might get a bit offended.
Once you’ve tasted the BPO....I like Rattle and particularly some of his early recordings with the Bournemouth but he’s never really been a conductor I’ve turned to much.Not sure why really.I think he suits a British Orchestra best whereI think he is less anonymous.

I agree that Rattle's earlier recordings are better - there just didn't seem to be much magic on recordings with him and the BPO. Whereas recordings such as the Bournemouth Mahler 10, Philharmonia Sibelius 5 and a few of his CBSO recordings really do have magic. Haven't heard any of his BRSO recordings yet... but I need another Das Lied like I need a hole in the head!

His youth was his big thing but I don’t really feel he has risen to the heights that we’re predicted. He achieved the BPO and was clearly liked voted for by his band but his attach in net to an orchestra doesn’t excite me in the same was
as Abbado or Szell did and still do. Many of his performances lack a footprint or individuality. Whether you liked Karajan or not, his input was unique and arresting. With Rattle, it feels mostly anonymous. I think of him in the same terms as Andrew Davis or Marriner perhaps.I thought Colin Davis a finer conductor than Rattle. Don’t know.Just doesn’t register with me really and I don’t look out for his recordings.

I just stumbled across this blurry pic I took of Jansons with the Concertgebouw in 2014, can’t believe it’s six and half years ago. The rapport he had with his musicians was always obvious,

4Gk9I2w.jpg

Shostakovich and Ravel.

It’s three years almost exactly since Jansons gave his last concert (with the BVRSO in New York). I came across these pictures of him today:

With his father Arvids Jansons and Sviatoslav Richter in the 1950s then with his father in the late 70’s I’m guessing:

XcZouqF.jpg

d6W5rZG.jpg

His father collapsed and died from a heart attack while on the podium conducting The Halle Orchestra in the 1980s and Jansons almost suffered the same fate in Oslo a decade later in the final pages of La Boheme.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back