advertisement

Margarine and its viscosity.

PhilofCas

pfm Member
I’ve noticed for a while that margarine is less viscous than it used to be. I did a bit of Googling and it seems to point to a reduction of bad fats, obviously a good thing, though the knock on effect is it won’t stay on the knife quite as well and can prove a right a palaver to spread/use.

Anyone else noticed this or am I imagining it?

(Fridge is working properly btw :p).

better put a bit of butter on your knife.

We ate so little of the water whipped up with air spreadable gunge, we reverted to butter for the odd occasion we need to spread. So much tastier.

Why would anyone use margarine instead of butter, these days? It might have made sense in the 1940s, with food scarcity and the fact that margarine never goes bad, so is easier to store. But today? By the way, the other day my wife bought some "special" butter that costs about twice as much as Lurpak, and it is absolutely delicious, another world compared to the standard stuff.
By the way, it seems margarine was invented for the French army around 1830 because it never went bad and soldiers could carry it around under a blazing sun for months on end.

By the way, it seems margarine was invented for the French army around 1830 because it never went bad and soldiers could carry it around under a blazing sun for months on end.

Without colouring it would look like lard. Not very appetising..

Why would anyone use margarine instead of butter, these days?

it’s funny you should ask.
We are staying with our son in Tokyo. This evening we went to buy some butter.
A 250g pack of French butter was around £9. Absolutely insane. We did find some cheaper Japanese stuff, which was probably spreadable butter at around £2.50 a tub. It tasted ok on toast.
That’s why everywhere you go in Japan, they give you margarine.

Ultimately, they're both fats, one an animal fat, the other a vegetable fat. I personally find the modern marges, usually safflower/soya oil-based, to be OK (at least the ones we get in Swizzieland). But then, I use relatively little, my life being consumed in a search for the perfect apricot jam to put on my bread.

Danish (or French) unsalted butter is much better than margarine, which tastes like nothing.

I’ve noticed for a while that margarine is less viscous than it used to be. I did a bit of Googling and it seems to point to a reduction of bad fats, obviously a good thing, though the knock on effect is it won’t stay on the knife quite as well and can prove a right a palaver to spread/use.

Anyone else noticed this or am I imagining it?

(Fridge is working properly btw :p).
How many centistokes was it before compared to now?!

(I once spent a summer at the NEL measuring the viscosity and compressibility of a variety of fluids)

Why would anyone use margarine instead of butter, these days?
I use it occasionally for baking, when I don't necessarily need the buttery taste. That said I've had a pack in the freezer for months and I struggle to find a recipe to use it up.

Aside from the unavoidable packed lunch/meal deals sarnie use of marge I give the vile gloop a wide berth-disgusting, seeing it spread thickly on toast or crumpets is gag inducing.

it’s funny you should ask.
We are staying with our son in Tokyo. This evening we went to buy some butter.
A 250g pack of French butter was around £9. Absolutely insane. We did find some cheaper Japanese stuff, which was probably spreadable butter at around £2.50 a tub. It tasted ok on toast.
That’s why everywhere you go in Japan, they give you margarine.
Are they also more lactose intolerant?

advertisement

Back