advertisement

Marcus Miller

Lordhenley

pfm Member
Ive been really getting into Marcus Miller lately, his live album in Monte Carlo is awesome. Just wondering if there was anyone else I should have a listen too, I do have a bit of Stanley Clarke on vinyl but any alternates to look at much appreciated

Cheers

Lee

I take it you have his stuff with Miles Davis? If not start with We Want Miles and move forward from there (it's actually downhill, but a less good Miles album still tends to be better than that most artists achieve in their whole careers). The Warners box is exceptional value, Marcus Miller is on the vast majority if not all of it, Tutu being the peak on that label IMO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Definitely grab We Want Miles, it's live, raw and edgy - Miller is arguably the driving force more than Miles and is given planty of space to stretch out and really go for it. There's some amazing bass playing on that album, a great recording too.

Are there any other artists I should consider Tony?

Fusion isn't an area I know a huge amount about to be honest, certainly not the 1980s Marcus Miller kind anyway. My inclination would to be to work backward in time from where you are, e.g. try Weather Report, Herbie Hancock, Mahavishnu Orchestra etc and always more Miles as he's just the king of it IMO. There's a great Weather Report Complete Columbia Box, and if you are missing any Stanley Clark this Original Album Classics box may help fill the gaps. I'd highly recommend just about all of Miles Davis late 60s and 70s fusion output - if you like We Want Miles it just gets wilder and more out-there the further you go back. For bass playing I just love A Tribute To Jack Johnson, it's two lengthy unhinged blues jams (actually it's cut and shut out of loads of stuff reassembled to make two lengthy unhinged blues jams) but it just explodes out of the speakers like few other albums and the bass just sounds like the amp is in the room with you. Don't stop there though, there's Bitches Brew, In A Silent Way, On The Corner etc in fact a run of about 10 fantastic albums.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm in the process of inner/outer sleeving my Jazz albums and just came upon a Miles/Marcus collaboration, a movie soundtrack from 'Siesta'. Might be worth checking out.

MM is on Tom Browne's "Love Approach", which features "Funkin' For Jamaica". The rest of the album doesn't quite live up to that standard, but it's got some good points.

MM is a great Musician indeed, and is pretty handy on the keys as well :)

He certainly showed JMJ how good a Fairlight can sound - and plays some nifty bass on ZooLook (by far the best JMJ title)

There's a fella called Brian Bromberg that might interest Henley.

That's all I've got is a track called 'BASSically Speaking' (on a Nova Jazz/Acoustic Research) sampler that I acquired via a magazine in the 90's.

Incredible playing on a 6 string bass reputedly done without no overdubs....It's a good system tester too.

Edit:- The track in question is on youtube and is part of an album with the same title.

I saw Marcus Miller live last year, with his hot young band.

They played tracks off his new album, "Renaissance", and it was good stuff. I haven't bought the album yet, but if the studio versions are anything like what they did with it live, it should be very good.

Also worth mentioning that MM plays the Bass Clarinet very well, really soulful and haunting; a few tracks started with a woodwind passage, before the crunching bass and drum onslaught started.

I always enjoyed David Sanborn's live album "Straight to the Heart". Marcus Miller produces and plays on this stellar recording. I'll have to give this one a spin!

Second the Victor Wooten recommendation (have most of his output incl the Flecktones stuff) also Steve Bailey is worth a punt (6 string fretless!) if you want more 'exploratory' music!! (youtube him to see)

As a bass player myself I'm interested in what you are listening for/enjoying hearing; is it the interplay between musicians? the overall vibe of the song? the musicianship/dexterity of (just) the bass player? Sometimes the band needs to step up a few gears to get people 'mobile' :) and that's always good to capture; I think MM himself carries that idealism into the studio (and he's been in there a LOT, took me a few years to realise 'twas himself was on Michael Franks' "Read My Lips")

Another personal fave of mine is Norman Watt-Roy, if you want to hear a universally-respected bass player check him out on most Ian Dury/Blockheads output.

Steve

Second the Victor Wooten recommendation (have most of his output incl the Flecktones stuff) also Steve Bailey is worth a punt (6 string fretless!) if you want more 'exploratory' music!! (youtube him to see)

As a bass player myself I'm interested in what you are listening for/enjoying hearing; is it the interplay between musicians? the overall vibe of the song? the musicianship/dexterity of (just) the bass player? Sometimes the band needs to step up a few gears to get people 'mobile' :) and that's always good to capture; I think MM himself carries that idealism into the studio (and he's been in there a LOT, took me a few years to realise 'twas himself was on Michael Franks' "Read My Lips")

Another personal fave of mine is Norman Watt-Roy, if you want to hear a universally-respected bass player check him out on most Ian Dury/Blockheads output.

Steve

Hi Steve

I like the way the music flows on his recordings, I also like his interaction with the other musicians

I will look at the other guys mentioned in the thread, there is some great pointers for sure

Cheers

Lee

As a bass player myself I'm interested in what you are listening for/enjoying hearing; is it the interplay between musicians? the overall vibe of the song? the musicianship/dexterity of (just) the bass player?

Im not sure anyone ever listens to the Bass player. They are just there, somewhere in the background, making up the numbers.

Steve, just kidding.

For me, its different things at different times. Often just the overall "vibe" as you say. Or, more particular, the "groove" hit by the rhythm section if the players are locked in together. If there is a soloist I often listen to him/her, often checking out any interaction between the soloist and others. Or I may just enjoy the beauty, or otherwise, of the solo in itself. Often I try not to get too technical, and just enjoy the sounds being produced.

advertisement

Back