advertisement

Marantz CD94 refurbishment

And then I came across a potential problem....A missing part!! :(

These little things help to guide the tray as it moves. Quite often they come loose if the player is transported without the transport screws in place.

20210507_095347 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

This one had come loose and was rattling around inside the player (not a problem) but there's also one missing, presumably lost when the belts when last changed.

The part is 166M
20210507_095902 by Michael Pickwell, on Flickr

I think the chances of getting hold of one are very slim unless a whole donor machine is acquired. Fortunately it seems to be working just fine with one missing.

Absolutely sterling work Mike and looks like you’re making great progress.
I wasn’t expecting this back for a good while, but the ways it’s going I could probably pick it up at lunchtime!!
Keeping my fingers crossed you don’t find anymore problems.

Great work Mike, how does it sound now?
I didn't get a chance to listen to it on my main system but I had it on test in my dining room system all afternoon and it sounded really good. A noticeable step up from the bog standard CD960 that usually lives in my dining room system.

A gorgeous looking player too!

A really enjoyable thread that Mike ( even though l had no idea what you were doing :)) and that Marantz is one nice looking CD player.

Well Mike’s work is complete and the CD94 is back home and ready for the Series Finale!

I hadn’t intended posting here until a few listening sessions were completed, but it’s got the better of me already and I have to report it’s gorgeous. Not just aesthetically but in its beautiful presentation of the music.

I ve not listened to loads of CDPs over the years; I’ve got a nice Audio Note here, I ve had Rega stuff and Densen, but this is in a different league. What price would you pay for this quality in today’s market?

Mike denied being a Magician earlier in this thread. Well I’m not sure about that but he’s a very clever chap for sure and what he doesn’t know about CDPs ........

Thank you Mike for your great advice and superb workmanship.
Also a big thank you to our man in Switzerland, Richard.

Happy memories of mine, long since gone. I got a CD94/ DAC94 from the old Rogers Loudspeakers demo room around 20 years ago.

advertisement

Back