advertisement

Marantz CD94 - Opamp Burson Audio V6

kiran1103

Folks,

I just finished recap of Marantz 94. Thanks to Mike Pickwell for guiding me on some and the wonderful nanocamp goodies. I see some changing the opamps. I have 4 Burson audio dual channel v6 Vivid that I would like to try. Apart from the 8 pin DIP soldering is there any other mods that I need to do? I keep hearing that these wont work as its dual channel etc. Any thoughts?

Folks,

I just finished recap of Marantz 94. Thanks to Mike Pickwell for guiding me on some and the wonderful nanocamp goodies. I see some changing the opamps. I have 4 Burson audio dual channel v6 Vivid that I would like to try. Apart from the 8 pin DIP soldering is there any other mods that I need to do? I keep hearing that these wont work as its dual channel etc. Any thoughts?

Are the original op amps single and these are dual then? If so then not insurmountable but awkward and fiddly...

Sorry I should have been clear. What i meant was the stock opamps are single channel. "channel" being the key word. The Burson is straight drop in. Except for the height no difference.

The reason for my question is this line from the following link. It says it needs proper implementation and redesign of the IV stage.

A good choice will be the Burr Brown OPA 627 single (all 4 OP amps are single types). You can also go full throttle and buy some discrete OP amps from companies like Burson Audio – and if that is not enough, you can use Daniel Weiss devices from Switzerland – they are very, very good, but also very expensive – and they need proper implementation, which means a complete redesign of the IV stage and filter design!!!! – Which is a lot of work and needs serious know how.

https://medialux.blog/2019/07/08/the-marantz-cd-94-part-ii-the-da-converter/

It should be OK but there a whole load of possible pitfalls.... The best op amps today are extremely good and even things like the NE5534 which may have been the original are non too shabby. probably all your music has already been through 30 such op amps! Anyone marketing such an op amp should have taken care of most of the decoupling cap arrangements, and assuming the thing has typical open loop bandwidth and GBP etc for it to be drop in replacement for a wide range of op amps, I'd say go for it... Best to check with a 'scope for oscillation etc and if you don't have such things or understand why I say this then maybe you should leave it alone. Probably OK though. Worst likely issue is bad oscillation which if unlucky could blow power amp or speakers.

Thanks and thats the whole point of the post to check if its ok. I might just leave it as is. I dont have a scope to check nor do i know how to :)

I think that quote refers to the Daniel Weiss ones (never heard of them). I've tried various ones in my DACs with no issues, there are a couple of unstable types but a Google will usually flush these out. I've mixed up OPA134, OPA627, Burson etc. in the past.

Nothing to do with the CD player per se and everything to do with how the op amp is used! How I wish there were totally uncompensated high performance op amps around! (no not the LM301:eek:). Such a thing is completely unstable unless specific techniques are used to optimise it for a specific application but performance can be way better than normal unity gain stable types in applications that really need high performance.

For the majority of applications, often followers or low gain uses, any decent modern op amp will be just fine. Differences between good ones are the thin end of SFA.

All of that, and things like the Burson are a more-than-a-bit wilfull - discrete assemblies, at a significant premium, that cannot come close to regular cheap 8-pin DIL/ SMT parts on performance - only to exceed them greatly on price, and web 'feelz' /

I'd avoid tbh, having ...looked closely at earlier iterations, over the last decade or two; and v sim. recent.

IMO discrete op amps very much do have their uses.... but this isn't one of them! In fact I've designed several for specific purposes, but, as a replacement for good monolithic op amps at only +/-15V rails and <10mA's current they are not needed, and it would be a hell of a task to beat the likes of OPA134 etc etc.

They are a scam in my opinion. There have been perfectly adequate audio opamps for ages. I don’t think the engineers who designed them were stupid and I guess they knew what they were doing.

advertisement

Back