advertisement

marantz cd273se compared to rega planet (original)

pickwickpapers

pfm Member
just on the off-chance -

anyone had /compared the two players as per the subject?

I've found myself having to go further and further 'back in time' to find a cd player with the what I'd call a natural (dare I say analogue) presentation, and have ended up with the marantz cd273 (se version - supposedly with the 'crown' tda1541?) and cd45 as about the best I've found for budget money.

I keep on reading about the original rega planet's warm analogue sound, and wonder if it might be what I'm after.

any comments much appreciated.

Last edited:
I've got one of those - although it's a while since I tried it, I preferred the 273se and cd45 when 'auditioning'. Should give it another go tho' - thanks for the suggestion.

I take it you weren't that impressed by the Planet?

No i loved it...long story!

I would have another happily whether it's worth 7 or 8 times more than the 160 though is the big question.

The 160 needs a thorough warm through to be at its best imo

hopefully a bit of of precis of the story ;) ?

kind of wish you hadn't said that, as the Planets do go for more than the budget 1541 / 1540 jobs it's true - seem to be able to pick one up on ebay uk for around £150 or a bit less (although most are asking for over £200).

maybe I haven't given the 160 a good enough go - remember it being rather bland - not much bass (or indeed treble, although I certainly don't want too much of that).

Last edited:
I’ve a Planet I’d consider selling - there’s a thread in here somewhere where I refurbished and lightly modded it. It’s a lovely thing - like most Rega Kit, it does nothing wrong even if there is higher resolving Kit out there.

The base Philips TDA1540/1 really need a few mods to get the best from them IMO.

Haven’t tried it since then, but I’d be surprised if not - can test it again if you like. What about £150 + postage (note: I’m in Switzerland, import duties will apply) with the spare laser unit (original fault on mine was servo board, but I have spare complete mech, so laser still good on it).

Or make me an offer on the matching Brio (think i Mentioned Mira before, I think it’s a Brio) I have too and get a remote control too :)

Oh, I still have the Monitor Audio speakers too - these work stunningly well with the Brio :)

Richard

ok, thanks Richard.

not sure about it yet, and import duty from Switz does complicate things - so please don't go to any trouble checking it etc for now.
it would only be the cd player, not the amp unfortunately (would love it - but you'd have to throw it in for free!).

will pm you if I want to take things further - and obviously don't hesitate to offload it elsewhere in the meantime if so inclined.

I'm listening to the 160 as i type,lacking in bass isn't something i'd level at it far from it in fact.
Having tried most marantz td1541 models i'd venture the philips is the more analogue less etched/digital sounding.
It has a warmth that i didn't feel with the planet though equally as fast imo.

Try and ensure you get a suitable remote control, the rega one covers all their kit at the time so they maybe common enough ...and then there is always rega

I think remotes were an extra with the Planet ...at least initially so not all owners had them but without the extra controls the planet is limited

thanks for the heads-up ian, although I'm intrigued as to the 'extra controls' (we were thinking wistfully about the goblin teasmade my parents had back in the 70s ;) ) ...

thanks for the heads-up ian, although I'm intrigued as to the 'extra controls' (we were thinking wistfully about the goblin teasmade my parents had back in the 70s ;) ) ...
fast forward, direct acess to any track are the main issues you might miss without... i didnt see the Goblin option in the Rega literature at the time-)

I think remotes were an extra with the Planet ...at least initially so not all owners had them but without the extra controls the planet is limited

Yes, an additional $CDN 50. if one wanted the remote over here. IIRC, clamshell Planet was $CDN 1100.

I'd be surprised if very many were sold sans remote.

goodness - thanks retrospective for getting me to try the 160 again. early signs are that it might well do the job.

less 'frayed around the edges' than my 273se (i.e. less treble and bass), but with current partnering equipment, more than enough of both, and a very natural sound.

when you say a couple of days - just left on continuously or playing 24/7 (not sure I'd want to stress mine the latter way - it's not serviced)?

advertisement

Back