advertisement

Manticore Mantra/Rega

I’ve inherited a lovely Manticore Mantra. It’s the rarer model with two-speed internal psu. It’ll need a new belt and probably some adjustments. My question is: how interchangeable are Manticore/Rega platters and sub-platters? I’ve had a few Regas and never really liked the glass platter, but I gather that replacing the sub-platter will bring more sonic benefit. Would an aftermarket Rega sub-platter fit the Mantra?

I wouldn't change anything on the Mantra. The belt will likely be OK. I have an older one than yours still on the original belt.

Manticore made a standard and a metal sub platter. I had a standard Mantra and one with the switchable power supply and aluminium sub platter.

The power supply hummed a bit and got quite warm.

TBH, they both sounded great with well sorted RB250.

I'd keep it stock and don't replace anything that isn't broken.

However, I think the glass platter was identical to the rega ones and I think the Funk achroplat could be used on them as well.

You'd have difficulty telling the difference between one of these and an LP12 with an identical arm and cart in a blind test.

The Manticore arms are suppose to be something special - it hasn't got one of those fitted, has it?

So I've got the Mantra running. Sounds OK - the K9 it came with is probably past its prime, but my main issue is the suspension. It needs adjusting, which I've figured out how to do, but my question is, by how much should the glass platter be clearing the motor spindle? It's riding very high at the moment - about 10mm - and is probably too bouncy.

The Mantra does indeed use a Thorens belt, the same as the TD260 IIRC.

Rega's glass platters have been of different thicknesses over the years and models so you'd need to check.

Never tried the alternative sub platter but have tried the acrylic main platter, which was different for sure but better? Couldn't say. They certainly need very different suspension set ups. The glass preferred a stiffer setting and acrylic was better low slung and much more bounce allowed, which is also necessary to keep the belt on.
Good deck, still have one tucked away waiting for me to rewire it's Rega arm, it's only been a few years :oops:

So I've got the Mantra running. Sounds OK - the K9 it came with is probably past its prime, but my main issue is the suspension. It needs adjusting, which I've figured out how to do, but my question is, by how much should the glass platter be clearing the motor spindle? It's riding very high at the moment - about 10mm - and is probably too bouncy.

They are very bouncy. 10mm between the plinth and the platter sounds about right. No harm in loosening them off to see what difference it makes, but logic says that'll make it even wobblier. They should come with a bit of foam in the springs, this can slow down the travel a bit. Cut some equal bits to put in them if it;s not there and try that, too. TBH, though, 10mm and level and you should be fine.

They are very bouncy. 10mm between the plinth and the platter sounds about right. No harm in loosening them off to see what difference it makes, but logic says that'll make it even wobblier. They should come with a bit of foam in the springs, this can slow down the travel a bit. Cut some equal bits to put in them if it;s not there and try that, too. TBH, though, 10mm and level and you should be fine.
Right... No, there's no foam in the springs. Do you mean between the bolts and the springs - inside the springs, if you like, or between the coils themselves? Going to try it in any case. Thank you.

Also, the arm board seems to ride very low in its cut-out. I think it has always done this, and in every photo I've ever seen of a Mantra, the arm board sits well below the level of the plinth, but is this normal, or should I try to raise it, by tightening the suspension or adding some washers between the board and the sub-chassis?

Right... No, there's no foam in the springs. Do you mean between the bolts and the springs - inside the springs, if you like, or between the coils themselves? Going to try it in any case. Thank you.

Also, the arm board seems to ride very low in its cut-out. I think it has always done this, and in every photo I've ever seen of a Mantra, the arm board sits well below the level of the plinth, but is this normal, or should I try to raise it, by tightening the suspension or adding some washers between the board and the sub-chassis?

The foam was a little bit inside the actual spring to damp them down a bit.

When it comes to setting the height, the important thing is to nip it up enough to make sure the floating arm board isn't fouling the cut out in the top, the platter clears the pulley and the whole thing is level. IIRC, you have to nip it up really tight to significantly change the suspension height, so this isn't advisable. It will bounce around like a jelly and is supposed to.

advertisement

Back