advertisement

Mana Isobarik Stand

GKC

Hi
i would like to get some advice on getting the best from Linn Isobariks on mana Acoustic stands

Thanks all

Hi
i would like to get some advice on getting the best from Linn Isobariks on mana Acoustic stands

Thanks all

I'll try

What do you want to know ?

I have late Isobariks on Sound bases, rest of my kit on Mana Racks

I have Isobaric DMS with internal xovers which i have owned for 22 years.
All my kit is on Mana and i really like what it does, I recently got Mana isobaric stands which replaced Linn stands with panels after setting them up meticulously i am unclear as to what is happening. The sound is brighter with greater clarity the mid is much more open and the bass has tremendous speed and accuracy but weight and extension varies greatly from tune to tune. i am unsure if this is a result of less energy being transmitted through the stands as when i rest my hand on the side of the cabinet there is almost no vibration.

That is interesting
>Varies from tune to tune
Is that different albums or the same
Do you think it might be revealing problems elsewhere ?

As I upgraded I found the production and engineering on some albums was great and horrible on a few

This is only my opinion but mana stands make isobariks sound almost as flat as a pair of atc's.

Absolutely a downgrade.

Thanks for comments i find most recordings is akin to being in a recording studio, I find myself drawn into the production and engineering of the music more than before, whilst on one hand i find it incisive on the other it doesn't have the boogie factor.

This is only my opinion but mana stands make isobariks sound almost as flat as a pair of act's.
Absolutely a downgrade.

Act's of the Apostles
Like mana from heaven?
Bub or vuk will be along
To help with your problem
I'd offer to help
but my brain has forgotten
Get the nut-nip thing wrong
You get a rattly bottom

Ps
David just corrected his unfortunate mistake
But I was posting my poem, I could not hesitate
Passions will rise when this subject is uttered
Flouncing and closure, and thread pony-cluttered.

Thanks for comments i find most recordings is akin to being in a recording studio, I find myself drawn into the production and engineering of the music more than before, whilst on one hand i find it incisive on the other it doesn't have the boogie factor.

Could be similar to what I heard on the Kokomo album when played on a top system.
Wonderful album, appalling engineering and or production, IE boogie factor gone

Naah, all that Mana="heavy" bull was a front, all cowardly talk (on the other side of a phone) all bluster and no trousers
BTW Bub has some soundstages and a pair of atc100 stands
Well technically I have them but I said I'd shift them for him
After I failed to coax anything from mine
I can't work out how to do it right
the mana mojo has left me so I'm sticking with the least difficult approach.
Stick my tower 100s on a tiled solid concrete floor.
Apparently they were designed to be used this way
But I don't have suspended floor
This nut nipping business is way beyond my skillset

A very cheap way to do it, the spikes are available on ebay for normal money, as are the proper m8 threaded hex-grubbed cones, should be easy. If you search this forum you can get the people who made the pukka mana "balanced boards" I can probably rustle up the number.

A very cheap way to do it, the spikes are available on ebay for normal money, as are the proper m8 threaded hex-grubbed cones, should be easy. If you search this forum you can get the people who made the pukka mana "balanced boards" I can probably rustle up the number.

If I find the right metal basher I could have a load made for sensible money.
Also need tailor made racks now as my kit has stabilised, (unless I get seduced into more box swapping) and needs a more logical layout

Be glad for any contact details

Speak to Keith at http://www.plasticsandveneers.co.uk/ on 0151 944 7150. For replacement "Balanced Boards". They can also make them thicker. These guys were the guys who used to make them for Mana.

Ebay has "Mana Stainless Spikes" £6 ish quid for four-ish
Stubbies eBay has M8 threaded grub cones in varying pack sizes about 19p each

All you need is a metal basher use Bright Steel Equal L Section and you are good to go.

A tip for the welder: If you get the welders to make two jigs for soundstages not one, then one can cool down as they weld the other, this way the Soundstage does not distort as it cools unclamped. There is a tendency for some mana soundstages to not lie flat and this can result in wonky looking but unstressed stacks, some people think this is important.

I cannot remember how the nuts and screws go or the order or tightness and this is something that causes great discussion, when I tried to tune the glass it would go clank. I managed it once then as soon as I put the speaker on it' I had a need to lift it off and it was clanking again because the weight of the speaker caused the speaker to crush through the board veneer top.

I do not trust my setup skills but I do know how the stuff is made.

I think if there is sufficient interest you could get a group buy and costs would go down a lot, it's as easy to powder coat a dozen as it is 50 or 100. I know bulk prices go down the more you buy. Its laminated MDF balanced board BTW whatever forum legend says! Mana used a form of chipboard before MDF.

I would also investigate workshops in china as steel welding, powder coating and cost of palletising from one point may be cheaper than UK fabrication especially if you import at the material cost of steel... but they need close scrutiny on the material, bright common L section, not round or bullnose equal section. The welds ought to be line not spot, MIG not TIG, and check for blobby over fluxing ground back as they crack over time and are not as visually neat. All holes to be bench drilled and machine threaded to M8 not hand threaded with a hand drill as they must be vertical.

None of this is hard work or engineering beyond say an agricultural welding shop or garage.

advertisement

Back