advertisement

Making a £13,000 turntable - Garrard 301, Ikeda tonearm and Audionote cartridge

Hi,

Just watched this, plinth made from scratch then the Garrard 301 installed along with tonearm and cartridge.

Garrard 301 turntable plinth, the Garrard 301, Ikeda 345 tonearm and an Audionote IO-10 cartridge.

Apologies if this has been posted before.

Enjoy, it is 35 minutes, but worth it.

Cheers

John

Watched that and some of his other videos. Very skilled.Learned a lot but mainly that I'd have to invest rather more in the right tools for the job!
Cutting a sheet into matching rectangles on my 100 quid table saw is a fools errand, lol
Thing always baffles me is how are the templates for routing always perfect, CNC machined?

Great video.
But, and this will incur the wrath of Khan, I find the 301 an awful looking thing. That finish in particular reminds me of a washing machine my mother had when I was knee high, and the cream looks so dated. £13k for something that looks like that would rankle.
Can’t comment on the sound quality of course, as I haven’t knowingly heard an idler for 40 years, so I will suffer the slings and arrows that I deserve ;)

I find the 301 an awful looking thing

Beauty is in the eyes of the retro beholder! I didn't have a 301 but did have a 401 (late sixties) and I'm not sure I don't prefer the aesthetics of the 301 in comparison to that or my Goldrings. Either way, these decks should have a 12" arm mounted, i.m.o. simply 'cos you can !!!

advertisement

Back