advertisement

Mains power block recommendations

Bumping this as I really would like a power saving strip - one that when I turn on my power amp it switches on everything else, but ideally an 8 or ten way one...?

Does anything like this exist? (I have seen the remote control ones, and the single socket energy savers, but are these built to handle a biggish amp current?)

Bumping this as I really would like a power saving strip - one that when I turn on my power amp it switches on everything else, but ideally an 8 or ten way one...?

Does anything like this exist? (I have seen the remote control ones, and the single socket energy savers, but are these built to handle a biggish amp current?)
Turning on your whole system at the flick of a single switch sounds a bit scary to me. It might depend on what system you have, and whether it has big toroidal transformers, but I can see it tripping the MCB in your consumer unit when you try to turn on 8 items at the same time.

I bought distribution boards from RS / Maplin / CPC that have RFI filters and a switch. So when I switch on the board, the items connected to it come on. FWIW The power amp makes the house lights flicker when switched in, regardless of if I do it this way or use the switch on the amp. 8-]

Leaving all equipment switched on and then turning the whole system on and off by the distribution block could cause horrendous, even potentially dangerous to equipment, switch on thumps... It entirely depends on the design of the gear and whether individual items have switch on delay or anti thump circuitry...

Leaving all equipment switched on and then turning the whole system on and off by the distribution block could cause horrendous, even potentially dangerous to equipment, switch on thumps... It entirely depends on the design of the gear and whether individual items have switch on delay or anti thump circuitry...

Ok fair enough, I do remember the system tripping the circuit when switched on in a previous house before it was rewired, so probably a good idea!

In which case Olson do a timed switch on unit which turns on two plugs of the 10 at intervals - which would be superb, is there a way of remote controlling the socket which feeds the Olson block?

Yes- Smart Home equipment is common these days with remote 13A socket switching available.

And are these inline switches capable of the ampage and won’t degrade the circuit? I have a couple of these lying around which I could use...

Ecotek Standby Saver Compact 1-Way Socket - Infrared Version https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00400ONBI/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

Here’s the products PDF - all it really says is don’t connect more than 3000W.. I just worry about the quality of connection inside and the sturdiness of the relay etc..

https://www.cnmonline.co.uk/fileupl...d/?d=0&file=custom/upload/File-1404139732.pdf

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
if your system tripped your previous house - perhaps proceed with caution. But the worst that could happen is that you trip the MCB on your distribution board. On the other hand - must he a heck of powerful system for the switch on to bother the distribution board.

if your system tripped your previous house - perhaps proceed with caution. But the worst that could happen is that you trip the MCB on your distribution board. On the other hand - must he a heck of powerful system for the switch on to bother the distribution board.

It was two power amps switching on and when we rewired the house we found the reason... the socket which I was using for the hifi (in the lounge) had been spurred off of a lighting circuit rather than the ring main!!!

Once it was on the ring all was absolutely fine!

advertisement

Back