advertisement

Mains power block recommendations

I use Tacimas. I make no specific claims on sound but they have certainly not audibly 'deteriorated' sound to my ageing ears. Surge protected too.

Not sure if they have ones with 8 sockets though.

Whatever distribution block you go for I would recommend that you bought one without any type of filtration or 'protection'. Alternatively you can make your own if you are able to - it's not difficult. Here is a four way one I built many years ago:

4DF4C851-0B7B-47DF-99CA-245086951FFC_zpswi6g3lfh.jpg
Could you give more details,
this seems a good option.

In my experience there is some benefit (in fact this constitutes most of the difference between mains blocks) from having the sockets of an extension block star wired as opposed to wired in series (which is how most are constructed).

I have a good friend who designs mains supply products for Isotek. He knows I am suspicious about some of the claims made for supply adapters, mains cables, etc.
I am not a total disbeliever on cables of any sort, be they mains, speaker cables or interconnects.
Having a scientific background, I like claims substantiated by measurements.
He showed me some cables can make an audible change.
Whether it's an improvement is open to question...

I've used Olson Sounds Fantastic blocks for years. They're built like tanks, use good quality components and perform well in my system. They are also reasonably priced compared to other comparable products.

I have been very happy with this on one of my systems.

https://socketstore.co.uk/products/...ched-trailing-socket-extension-lead-with-neon

Now, I know purists will baulk at the neon indicators and switches but it is actually very useful to be able to see if components are on and to be able to individually switch them.

I bought the 5m one and cut the lead to length at the plug end. My only complaint would be that the socket part does not appear to be re-wirable, but not a major issue especially given the price.

I second that - preferably with no led's on it either.

Interestingly my Amazon Fire TV Stick went into 'low power' (slooooow) mode when plugged into a Tacima filtered mains strip. Once I took it off the strip, it returned back to normal.

Didn't realise these guys are just 2 minutes from me. Hmm, wonder if they'll do home loan for me ... no harm in asking!

Had some issue getting fuses for their unit and they sent some free of charge and were lovely to deal with, so I imagine they would be delighted.

Excuse for a lovely short walk out also, maybe have a cheeky half help make your mind up..... :)

If you want to do some more reading before you spend your money I would suggest this thread:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/...ed-from-quotlps-1-troubleshootingquot-thread/

John Swenson is a electronics engineer who is involved heavily in designing HiFi electronics. His recommendation is:

... to use a simple power strip with NO filtering or surge suppression

However, he would use a low inter-winding capacitance isolation transformer between the mains and the strip.

Currently I just use M&K unswitched plus a hydra for my Naim gear, but I found this an interesting read.

advertisement

Back