advertisement

Mains power block recommendations

readams

No longer wine tasting
Hi

Looking for a decent 8-way mains power block with a 3m lead on it. Nothing too fancy or expensive. Any suggestions?

TIA

Hi

Looking for a decent 8-way mains power block with a 3m lead on it. Nothing too fancy or expensive. Any suggestions?

TIA

There are wildly differing views on whether the quality of these really makes a difference.
I'm opened minded about them.

I use one supplied by a scientific supplies company, designed to use in a Lab. environment. I worked in Chemistry Lab. I got one at a very good price.

If you can get a demo. of a Hi-Fi one versus a generic one that's the best path.
Dealers may be biased.
They have to make sales...

I'm just having an 8 way mains block made up by Mark Grant, top bloke to deal with, sensible money.

I have quite a few Olsen units around the house for the computers in particular. Solid, well-made, rugged and good value for money

Hi

TIA

Been thinking the same for our system too, recently. Will be checking out the Supra Cables/Jenving LoRad mains distribution blocks and their LoRad power cords.

Whatever distribution block you go for I would recommend that you bought one without any type of filtration or 'protection'. Alternatively you can make your own if you are able to - it's not difficult. Here is a four way one I built many years ago:

4DF4C851-0B7B-47DF-99CA-245086951FFC_zpswi6g3lfh.jpg

I would highly recommend a mains block from Wychwood Audionics
www.evoaudio.uk/wychwood.htm (Tel : 01775 710325) very well made and sensibly priced, I am very pleased with mine and find it works as well if not better than an silly priced Q Base one that I used previously.

I liberated a couple of Olsen blocks from some old 19" comms racks. I use one in the studio. For the hifi I use a mains hydra- free from a sparks but not expensive if you get one made. Then again I only need 3 mains leads plugged in. The girlfriend's CD player is plugged into the a non-spur plug.

If you need 8 plugs are they all linear PSUs? If not , why not plug the SMPS into something else?

I use a Brennenstuhl (same make as the RS one linked) Hugo as they come in very nice colours and it makes me happy when I look at how the colours match everything else around.

Brennenstuhl are well made too.

If I was at all paranoid I'd make up my own hydra with the required cable lengths, and crimp'n'shrink the connections and put it inside a nice little box with the appropriate exit glands, MK toughplug on the one end and some C13 IECs or w/e on the others.

Yes. Just threw it in for variety and because I like it. I'm going to make a clone of it. I've already bought the sockets. The cheapest place for the MK sockets was Screwfix who offer a discount for 5+ at only £2.58 each.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/mk-logic-plus-13a-1-gang-unswitched-plug-socket-white/58698

Scraps of 18mm ply are readily available from skips. Including cable and MK plug from the boot sale, its going to cost me less than £25!

advertisement

Back