advertisement

mains plugs - Uk or Schuko

Chris

pfm Member
I have been living in Spain for nigh on 40 years now but for some strange warped ex-Pat reason I have stubbornly persisted using Brit fused multisocket and fused plugs for my system.
I know Russ Andrews considers Schuko plugs as being better soundwise than Brit plugs - does anyone else think I would be better off getting rid of my fused plugs ? ( Of course, my house being Spanish has an automatic contact breaker switch next to the consumer units for safety).

Any thoughts ?

Take a look at the amount of metal involved in each. I don't think there's any sensible reason to swap from what you have, which obviously works just fine.

(And no I don't count Russ' opinion as sensible generally...)

Schuko - they look nicer. British plugs are far too chunky, far too twentieth century.

I was born and educated in the UK with 2,5,15 and 13 amp plugs ... I have never once seriously considered using UK plugs and sockets since I moved to France some 35 years ago. Nothing to do with sound - everything to do with convenience and exchangability. (As a pupil then university student I got rather fed up with changing plugs on things every time I went back to school/university or returned home for a holiday)
It might be worth checking insurance issues connected with using non-standard (although safe) connectors in Spain.

Does anyone use Powercons instead of IECs ? Or at both ends of their mains cables for that matter ? At least they do click/lock. The other day the fat shielded mains cable that I use on my Sugden a21SE with Oyaide IEC obviously didn´t enter fully in the back of the Suggie and caused the fuse to blow. Nothing serious but it makes you think.

I have been living in Spain for nigh on 40 years now but for some strange warped ex-Pat reason I have stubbornly persisted using Brit fused multisocket and fused plugs for my system.
I know Russ Andrews considers Schuko plugs as being better soundwise than Brit plugs - does anyone else think I would be better off getting rid of my fused plugs ? ( Of course, my house being Spanish has an automatic contact breaker switch next to the consumer units for safety).

Any thoughts ?

Chris, if you get a UK plug and exchange the live pin for a neutral pin, to bypass the fuse, you get a consideable change. Mainly more bass but you just get "more sound". The fuse must be choking the sound so would definitely change to Schuko's, it's a no brainer.

Chris, if you get a UK plug and exchange the live pin for a neutral pin, to bypass the fuse, you get a consideable change. Mainly more bass but you just get "more sound". The fuse must be choking the sound so would definitely change to Schuko's, it's a no brainer.
Frankly I don't believe you. On what grounds can a fuse "choke" the sound?

But you should change to the European norm, anyway, you gain nothing by using UK pligs.

Also, it's a pain having to use an adapter all the time.

Does anyone use Powercons instead of IECs ? Or at both ends of their mains cables for that matter ? At least they do click/lock. The other day the fat shielded mains cable that I use on my Sugden a21SE with Oyaide IEC obviously didn´t enter fully in the back of the Suggie and caused the fuse to blow. Nothing serious but it makes you think.
Isotek use Powercon connectors on the back of their more upamrket conditioners but their Titan manual clearly states that the Powercon must not be connect"'ed or disconnected when live.

The problem with mixing across safety norms is that each is generally a whole.
The UK 13amp plug was conceived to go with ring mains and their specific requirements.
Same goes for the schuko conceived for French and German regulations.
Mixing tends to either over protect everything or MUCH WORSE remove vital systemic protection devices. The whole point of the regulations is to reduce fire and electrocution hasards.
This brings me back to the insurance angle...

Isotek use Powercon connectors on the back of their more upamrket conditioners but their Titan manual clearly states that the Powercon must not be connect"'ed or disconnected when live.

Neutrik also state the same on their page. It´s the 20A or 32A capacity that is supposed to improve matters. Don´t ask me why - I´m just the piano player. Dream on , methinks.

UK plugs with fuses in France or Spain would be the belt and braces option.

Quite. My French three-bedroomed flat has all radial wiring with some 5 residual curent circuit breakers and 15 overcurrent circuit breakers all of which cut both live and neutral lines should a fault occur. IN THIS SITUATION the added plugtop fuse adds little to the safety since the "consumer unit" in jammed with circuit breakers with current limits set according to the wiring in place.

advertisement

Back