advertisement

mains leads (again...)

Ken C

pfm Member
hi folks,

is it a good idea to "tin" the bare wire ends of the lead before securing it in the 13 amp plug connections? (with 60/40 or silver solder?)

if so, why so, if not, why not? i.e. what are the pros and cons?

many thanks

enjoy

ken

Well I don't claim to be any expert, but I've been told not to at work, as if you tin the cable it doesn't crush down in the terminals, so they don't grip it as well; i.e. there isn't such a good contact, and more risk of it coming loose.
Is there any reason not to solder the wires into the pins though? We usually do it with IEC (euro) connectors, as the screw terminals are useless, but I've never tried it with a 3-pin plug.

I don't tin cables because of (a) the screws can make a better contact across more of the cable as they crush the strands, (b) some misguided belief that I'm introducing an extra metal into the equation, (c) I always melt part of the seleeving.
OTOH, (i) tinning means no loose ends, (ii) if you re-use the cables you don't have to trim them down because the ends are frayed, (iii) the internal conections in the equipment are soldered.

last night i tinned a mains lead before connecting it up in a 13A plug, did the screws quite tight. tried it for a few hours in my system, sounded OK. i.e didnt sound any worse than with un-tinned connections.

when i undid the plug this morning, i found that the screw actually crushes/deforms the solder while being tightened and therefore ends up making quite a good connection. with untinned wires, if you do the screws too tightly -- you send up not making such a good connection because the individual strands just get displaced away from the bottom of the screw, if you see what i mean. (i have often wondered why naim leads are not done as tightly as i normally do mine, now i see the reason).

like you, i dont know why it would be a no no to solder the plug connections and yes there are plenty of soldered joints inside the equipment -- working at mains current as well.

one day, it will all be clear... what a nice thought !!!

enjoy

ken

I solder the wires to the plug pins, I also solder the fuse in.

If you want to try this you need a good iron. Tin the leads and the hole in the pin first then its easy to make the joint without melting the insulation.

Might as well just solder some fuse wire in instead...........get rid of that contact altogether.

As well as soldering I use the old style mains plugs without insulation half-way up the pin. They are, naturally, polished and cleaned thoroughly and thank you for reminding me that it's about time I gave them all a polish.

I have no doubt that this is an area of Naim philosophy that is so easy demonsrably wrong! Thwere are better mains leads.

Cheers,

Originally posted by London Lad
I solder the wires to the plug pins, I also solder the fuse in.

If you want to try this you need a good iron. Tin the leads and the hole in the pin first then its easy to make the joint without melting the insulation.

phew .. so you go all the way and tin the hole in the pin! very interesting, i doubt i want to go that far as my soldering isnt that good and i dont want to throw away too many crabtree plugs.

no, what i was after was a way to ensure that the plug connection screws make a secure connection with the bared lead and i can achieve this by ensuring that the screws are done up quite tight.

did you notice big improvements with tinning the holes as well? i.e. did you do a before/after?

enjoy

ken

Ken

I can’t say I could really hear any difference.

The problem with mains plugs and terminals in general is that the screws come loose over time on their own!

Some people think it’s to do with the 50Hz mains frequency.

I have tried soldering small pieces of copper tube over the ends of the wires B4 fitting the plugs and then really screwing them down hard but they still come undone.

MK plugs are better in this respect but a soldered Crabtree will never come undone!

BTW Wattgate IEC plugs have a special terminal arrangement that locks the screw thread as it tightens on the wire. I’ve just fitted some so I'll check them in a few months.

london lad:

BTW Wattgate IEC plugs have a special terminal arrangement that locks the screw thread as it tightens on the wire. I’ve just fitted some so I'll check them in a few months.

i bought one wattgate from RA to try out sometime ago. i fitted it to the mains lead for my cdsii. i probably should have tried supercap for preamp or something else, but in this configuration, i didnt get too much joy out of it. this worries me a bit. theory says (or does it?) that the better/more secure the connection, the better sound. wattgate makes a very good connection, but i didnt get any improvement out of it -- either i'm cloth eared or i should have tried wattgates everywhere for a fairer test -- unfortunately, i really cant afford it at £20 (or £80 is you want the full monty)...

evidently, it worked for you? probably works better with mains leads other than naim?

enjoy

ken

hi folks,

while we are on the subject of tinning, can anyone who knows comment on solder quality. i just bought lead free 95.5/4/0.5 (Tin/Silver/Copper) solder from maplin and am wondering whether its better than the bog std 60/40. whats the experience here?

enjoy

ken

Originally posted by Kit Taylor
I ordered some of that solder too Ken. Has yours arrived yet? Mine's been on back order for a while.

hi kit,

i actually went to my nearest maplin and bought it there.
hope yours arrives soon! then you can let us know what its like working with it

enjoy

ken

Hi folks,

I've been using this stuff for a while now on all things audio and it's fine and easy to use. I've used it in the rewire of my PRO9-TL speakers (actively), and to tin the ends of mains flexes prior to crushing them in the pin housings of MK Toughplugs. Does it make any difference sonically? None that I can detect, but on the basis that a large number of infinitesimal improvements adds up to something finite ..... it's just one more step in the right direction, IMHO.

Originally posted by PeteM
Hi folks,

I've been using this stuff for a while now on all things audio and it's fine and easy to use. I've used it in the rewire of my PRO9-TL speakers (actively), and to tin the ends of mains flexes prior to crushing them in the pin housings of MK Toughplugs. Does it make any difference sonically? None that I can detect, but on the basis that a large number of infinitesimal improvements adds up to something finite ..... it's just one more step in the right direction, IMHO.

hi pete,

thanks for answering my question. and you make a very good point about sum of small changes often amounting to something significant. the main (sorry!) point about mains is that if you get it wrong -- the sound will most definitely collapse.

i was actually thinking that silver solder would require higher temp and would also be difficult to assess whether the joint is OK or not.

enjoy

ken

advertisement

Back