advertisement

Mains conditioners: audioquest niagara vs puritan audio experience

Because its depending on your electricity quality ,and the level of your system.
Yup, I get that.

I'd say my electrics aren't the best - every amp I've had in has had some sort of hum and not all the same. The Naim hum needed a grounding cable, the Schiit Aegir hum needed Jensen Isolator, the Hegel required an Audiolab DC block. The weird thing was none of those fixes worked for any of the other amps. No idea what that's about. The Puritan had no effect on any of the amp's hum nor increased SQ, to my ears at least.

FWIW the speakers were a pretty decent level and resolving, Dynaudio Heritage Specials, which tend to take no prisoners with the chain, that Esotar tweeter will quickly let you know what's what.

I've seen some reviews that claim the Puritan transformed their system, (Steve Huff review on YouTube for one) So yeah, I'm either half deaf or maybe my electrics are too clean to benefit, I guess. Dunno.

got both the 1200 and the 156 in systems , still evaluationg the latter but can 100% say the 1200 improved the sound . very sweet sound coming from system which is primare cd35 , bel canto pre 5 , moon 330a power amp and verity audio rienzi speakers

I hope nobody objects to my 'tag-on' but I currently have a 'dead' Furman Elite 16PF Ei for which I have been unable to get an 'official' inspection or repair. In fact, after contacting the 'agents/importers' it appeared that my only option was to purchase a 'new' one, which given the apparent lack of support I'm not prepared to do.
Does anybody have any experience with this particular unit or in getting one 'repaired'?
My current plan, as it doesn't work well as a 'door stop', is to get it 'modified' to serve as a 'mains distribution' unit, given that the built in LED lamps were useful for illuminating the CD storage drawers which are incorporated in my equipment 'rack'.
Regards
Mike K.
Hi Mike
I’ve used Furman for years. Brilliant things and way better than any conventional HiFi conditioner I’ve tried.
Unfortunately, Furman and customer service don’t go together, I email them to ask where the fuse was when I first bought it 5 years ago…still waiting. Try finding the distributor but I wouldn’t hold out hope. Theyre reasonably straight forward things so a good techy should be able to sort ok…

got both the 1200 and the 156 in systems , still evaluationg the latter but can 100% say the 1200 improved the sound . very sweet sound coming from system which is primare cd35 , bel canto pre 5 , moon 330a power amp and verity audio rienzi speakers

Looks like experiences are all different. Different systems/rooms, different results. Good to know the Niagara 1200 is holding up well although there are others who found the PSM156 to outclass it.

+1 I’ve used Furman for years. Brilliant things and way better than any conventional HiFi conditioner I’ve tried.
Used a Furman P-2300 IT E 43kgs monster for years

Hi Mike
I’ve used Furman for years. Brilliant things and way better than any conventional HiFi conditioner I’ve tried.
Unfortunately, Furman and customer service don’t go together, I email them to ask where the fuse was when I first bought it 5 years ago…still waiting. Try finding the distributor but I wouldn’t hold out hope. Theyre reasonably straight forward things so a good techy should be able to sort ok…
Same. Been using Furman in professional settings since the 90's and in my home systems since 2007. The Power Factor Correction found in the PFI models uses an AC compressor starting cap to that end and I find it both aids dynamics but also reduces the noise floor. It's the exact same strategy Garth uses in the Niagara 3k and 5k (but with much better parts).

But, I too have found that Furman basically doesn't care about consumers. I used my laboratory or my employer's business account with them to get any kind of service at all. The only time they were speedy at all was with direct lightning strikes. In those cases, with images supplied via email, they overnighted replacement units with a return shipping label so they could inspect the damaged unit.

Saved more than a few RF-antenna racks, located on building tops for parades, from otherwise sure destruction.

I use an Elite 20 PFi in my Naim system and an Elite 15PFi in my tube system. I did not pay anywhere near retail for either and would certainly consider AQ or Puritan if either one dies over another Furman (the Furman open box deals seem to be gone now).

+1 I’ve used Furman for years. Brilliant things and way better than any conventional HiFi conditioner I’ve tried.
Used a Furman P-2300 IT E 43kgs monster for years
I used these units in several rack in the old forensic laboratory while I had directorship. Superb units whose only downside is they are, as you observe, HEAVY.

Maybe because I live in London but every conditioner / filtration I've tried is way better than mains plug in !

I've got a Krell FPB600 power amp, and in the instructions they specifically say not to use it with a conditioner.
That was printed 20 odd years ago , maybe technology has moved on and current ( no pun) conditioners have improved.

I've got a Krell FPB600 power amp, and in the instructions they specifically say not to use it with a conditioner.
That was printed 20 odd years ago , maybe technology has moved on and current ( no pun) conditioners have improved.
Can't speak for Krell, but most power conditioners are current-limiting devices. Even a few that say they aren't.

So I imagine rather than dive into the complexity of brands/models, Krell just said "Don't do it". I don't blame them, to be honest.

It's not accurate in an absolute sense. But it's not horrible advice.

advertisement

Back