advertisement

Mailing amp to Austria - advice sought

Most, if not all, couriers will use a third party to take it on the last leg in Austria. So just pick one here and pack it well enough to survive anything.

I sent a cartridge to Germany recently and used DHL on the basis it is Deutsche Post.

I would suggest the same but the last time someone said Austria was in Germany it started a war :)

DPD/Interlink's road services across Europe are very good: fast and reliable. We get account rates, but I think they're not unreasonably priced in general.

I don't know about Austria, but I had very good experiences with shippments dpd.com from UK to where I live.
Amp should not be too problematic anyway.

With appropriate packing, the post works.

I was told by UPS in the past to pack an item to withstand a 5 foot drop onto concrete from any angle or side. I would suggest vast amounts of bubble wrap.

I recently received a Shindo preamp in the mail from an authorized dealer. The amount of bubble wrap around the preamp itself doubled the size of the preamp and this was then in a cardboard box about 3-4 times the size of the preamp with additional packing stuffer. You could have tossed it out of an airplane over my house on delivery.

In contrast however, I received a Burmester 915 tuner by post wrapped in a smelly dirty blanket (likely straight off the ox) in a used tattered box that arrived, not suprisingly, DOA.

Good luck.

Simon

I once got a free Cyrus 1 from my first internet providers chat group, yes I was once a cixen.
It came in a shoe box, no wrapping, nothing. It was smashed to pieces of course.

Royal Mail Air Sure is very good, tracked door to door but may be pricey for an amp due to weight.

UPS are the best courier in my view and the only firm I use.

The packing is down to you, pack it so you are comfortable to drop it down the stairs because this is what will happen.

Bubble wrap does not have magical qualities you need to pack the box with polystyrene or stiff foam just like a manufacture would.

Good idea to photograph it.

Being from Austria, I would advice that you make sure the parcel service can deposit your amplifier at a pre-specified place such as a kind of postal office - Mail Boxes Etc. offices for example or a person, somebody who has already retired, to receive the amplifier personally.

Otherwise it could happen, especially with houses, that carrier clerks drop it at the house without delivering it personally.

Could be that the amplifier disappears consequently but has been delivered officially.

Always been pleased with ups booked with parcel2go when sending overseas

+1, often used to Germany. Parcel2go recently upgraded a ups drop-off I had booked to collection without any fuss, after the drop-off point had refused to take the parcel though it was not oversize or weight.

As I soon hopefully will receive Paul's amp here in Austria I would like to thank all of you for the excellent advice you gave to him.

And Paul, thanks for your comprehensive research. I appreciate this!

Packing: I have had a bit of HiFi shipped to me, and this is how I do it. Every time a shipper has listened to me there's been no damage. Every time they pack in peanuts, it's a giant mess as the item is damaged when the peanuts migrate and the side of the amp or speaker hits the box and thus the ground or other packages.

Build a six-sided box out of the styrofoam or heavy polyethylene foam (the solid white stuff) used to pack furniture or appliances. (Free from appliance and furniture shops.) Cut recesses out for knobs or protrusions. Bag the amp, cover with the foam. Put corner protectors (again, free from furniture shops) over the corners and tape in place. Box that if you can. Then bubble wrap that box (or the amp) with the heavy bubble wrap, doing at least two layers. Pack in crushed paper (no peanuts as they migrate) OR more of the polyethylene foam (not styrofoam). This will absorb any shocks.

Shipping: If you're originating in the UK, Transglobal Express is a reseller for UPS, FedEx, etc. and will give you a price that has (in my experience) been 25% of what UPS wants if you go direct. Check it out at: https://www.transglobal.org.uk

I have no connection to it, other than as a customer twice this year for a vintage amp and tuner.

My package was picked up in the UK and delivered to me in the US a few days later by UPS. Only difference was the price, which was a fraction of what UPS has on its Website.

Being from Austria, I would advice that you make sure the parcel service can deposit your amplifier at a pre-specified place such as a kind of postal office - Mail Boxes Etc. offices for example or a person, somebody who has already retired, to receive the amplifier personally.

Otherwise it could happen, especially with houses, that carrier clerks drop it at the house without delivering it personally.

Could be that the amplifier disappears consequently but has been delivered officially.

Just trying to trace a plinth that has been 'handed over' but had no card through my door or neighbour with a parcel on the doorstep. I am not overly concerned due to the protections afforded by the method of purchase but I presently have two items missing where Royal Mail/Parcelforce are responsible for delivery.

advertisement

Back