advertisement

Mahsa Amini RIP

More male violence against women however its dressed up, just abhorrent.

Just like the man who violently ripped the pass from the neck of 1 of the protesters at TPC and the the 2 men who physically removed them.Both instances of assault

Last edited:
However dire your situation is in the UK at the mo, I guess it is still far preferable to what women endure in Iran.

I meant the general situation in the UK, which has seen better days.
Fair enough,the UK has definately seen better days, but there is hidden violence in the UK. For example ,a report released a few days ago said there were an estimated 300,000+ deaths due to austerity.Makes us as bad as a lot of the regimes our government, hence tame media, constantly force on us.

Sky have been running a powerful Beth Rigby interview with Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliff. They are apparently showing it in full 9:00pm tonight.

It is a bit puzzling that there is so much indifference to what is going on in Iran at the moment, which is way beyond the "usual" levels of repression in that country. I wonder why that is.

It is a bit puzzling that there is so much indifference to what is going on in Iran at the moment, which is way beyond the "usual" levels of repression in that country. I wonder why that is.

Iran will have to solve the problems itself. And people too occupied by Ukraine.

Iran will have to solve the problems itself. And people too occupied by Ukraine.
What about the people in the Middle East? Is Al Jazeera giving it 24/7 coverage? Nope. Their English front page headlines just now: Kerch bridge, Israeli forces kill two Palestinians. Smaller headlines for Indonesia, Malaysia, Ukraine again, US, North Korea, scams in India, football...
EDIT: just checked their Arabic news. There is one article, in 13th position behind the same items listed above. French soldiers in Mali seem to rate higher than Iranian women getting killed in Iran by their own government.

Same as Afghanistan pre 9-11. A friend once described their economy as being based on opium for export and misery for internal consumption. Then they got into state sponsored terrorism.
Large number s of people don't care about Iran because:
It's just the Muslims innit?
It's a long way away. They're not starting on us.
Other than oil, and we can get that elsewhere if it all goes taters, they don't have much that we want.
Brown people, especially brown women, having a bad time? Meh.

What about the people in the Middle East? Is Al Jazeera giving it 24/7 coverage? Nope. Their English front page headlines just now: Kerch bridge, Israeli forces kill two Palestinians. Smaller headlines for Indonesia, Malaysia, Ukraine again, US, North Korea, scams in India, football...

Little Qatar has to tread a careful path...

Little Qatar has to tread a careful path...
Well, yes, but it goes beyond that. As part of a loose alliance with Iran and Turkey, Qatar is not going to give prominent coverage to bad stuff going on in Iran.

I have to admit I’m a bit puzzled too. Given the US/UK unconditional support of Israel no matter how barbaric they are to their neighbours, and given our reliance on funding from the Saudi terror-state I’d have expected this line to have been very clearly drawn. It has always struck me as a bizarre line, especially given Saudi funded 9/11 and is responsible for pushing the most extreme Islamic terrorism via Al Qaeda, ISIS etc, but that is the way we choose to draw those lines and Iran is on the other side of it.

The UK is on its way to a failed state if we don’t achieve regime change really soon. We already lack the economy, political integrity or place on the world stage to play any real part in this. Plus the Tories made such fools of themselves over the whole Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliff situation. She ended up rotting in the most brutal jail for years thanks to Boris Johnson’s idiocy and grandstanding. We really aren’t in a good place on this one. We’ve also been endlessly gaslit by our populaist-right government to hate and fear brown refugees, many of whom are fleeing nations the UK and USA have directly destabilised.

The whole thing is a mess and our government are unquestionably part of the problem, not part of any solution. The only way forward is via global mass civilian protest IMHO. Our politics failed long ago. It is down to us as individuals to continue to draw attention to inhumanity and tyranny wherever it exists. We shouldn’t expect any help from those who claim to govern us.

I have to admit I’m a bit puzzled too. Given the US/UK unconditional support of Israel no matter how barbaric they are to their neighbours, and given our reliance on funding from the Saudi terror-state I’d have expected this line to have been very clearly drawn. It has always struck me as a bizarre line, especially given Saudi funded 9/11 and is responsible for pushing the most extreme Islamic terrorism via Al Qaeda, ISIS etc, but that is the way we choose to draw those lines and Iran is on the other side of it.
Two loose alliances have carved up the Middle East: Israel/Egypt/Saudi/UAE on one side and Iran/Turkey/Qatar on the other. I would have expected the parties minimizing coverage of the bad stuff in Saudi Arabia, Israel etc. to be more interested in maximizing coverage of the bad stuff going on in Iran.

Two loose alliances have carved up the Middle East: Israel/Egypt/Saudi/UAE on one side and Iran/Turkey/Qatar on the other. I would have expected the parties minimizing coverage of the bad stuff in Saudi Arabia, Israel etc. to be more interested in maximizing coverage of the bad stuff going on in Iran.

Absolutely. I suspect we aren’t in the UK due to the Tory party being aware just how wrong they got the Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliff situation. I have a feeling it really is that simple. Our government thinks only of itself and knows any sentence with the word ‘Iran’ in it will inevitably lead to highlighting their own gross incompetence.

It seems to be getting more traction in the USA, there have certainly been many very intelligent and detailed reports on MSNBC etc. Biden has made a statement (Whitehouse). He’s in a whole different intellectual league to what we have politically in the UK at present.

Most of this stems from the illegal invasion which changed Iraq from moderate (at least in terms of religion as Saddam must have been an atheist) Sunni to full-on Shia thereby destabilising a delicate balance.
It is also a bit more fluid now with some rapprochement with Qatar. With a population of only 300,000 I'm sure Qatar would like to be fairly neutral when it can.
And of course very difficult to be a journo in Iran...

Is Iran the only theocratic dictatorship around? Just remembered Afghanistan, though that's more of a theocratic chaoticship. One Shi-ite, one Sunni but both Muslim. Is it sth inherent in Islam that creates this overwhelming devotion? Just remembered the Hindus of India but again, their beef is with Islam rather than minor religions.

I agree with Tony in his first p1 post that religion has been (or is) the most destructive power in history (or words to that effect). Mind you, I'm quite fervent in my agnosticism at times !!

Is Iran the only theocratic dictatorship around? Just remembered Afghanistan, though that's more of a theocratic chaoticship. One Shi-ite, one Sunni but both Muslim. Is it sth inherent in Islam that creates this overwhelming devotion? Just remembered the Hindus of India but again, their beef is with Islam rather than minor religions.

I agree with Tony in his first p1 post that religion has been (or is) the most destructive power in history (or words to that effect). Mind you, I'm quite fervent in my agnosticism at times !!

Nearly all countries were theocratic dictatorships not that long ago...

Sp221008ce-small.jpg

There is one other country not in the middle east I can think of in which unelected clerics sit in Parliament.

advertisement

Back