advertisement

Mahsa Amini RIP

Horrific, though sadly no worse than what happens routinely in many nations the west so happily deals with, e.g. Saudi. I notice from Twitter many incredibly brave Iranian women cutting their hair off and burning their veils in protest of this barbarism. As is so often the case when religious fundamentalism rears its head it only highlights how many decent intelligent people are held captive by an ideology they have no interest in. Obviously parallels can be made with America and the Christian far-right removing reproductive rights. Religion is unquestionably the most destructive thing humans have ever invented.

Yes, but the Shah dynasty is much older than anything Britain has ever done in the region, so I doubt that the place was very democratic before Reza Shah and Reza Pahlevi. Or at any time for that matter.

Yes, but the Shah dynasty is much older than anything Britain has ever done in the region, so I doubt that the place was very democratic before Reza Shah and Reza Pahlevi. Or at any time for that matter.
The administration of Mohammad Mosaddegh, though not democratic in a strict sense, was certainly popular. Before its removal from power by an Anglo American covert operation, Mossaddegh’s administration introduced a range of social and political measures such as social security, land reforms and higher taxes including the introduction of taxation on the rent of land. His government's most significant policy was the nationalization of the Iranian oil industry.

So yes, the place was certainly more sensitive to popular demand before that UK/US inspired coup than afterwards.

The 2007 film Persepolis provides a good background https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00ET220YE/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Loads of stuff happening now. Iranian journalist Masih Alinejad is well worth following, she’s tweeting/retweeting a lot of stuff, e.g. this electronic billboard on fire outside
Ali Khamenei's house (Twitter). Looks like his house will be next.

Hacker group ‘Anonymous’ also claim to have taken control of 300 Iranian cameras (Twitter).

Loads of stuff happening now. Iranian journalist Masih Alinejad is well worth following, she’s tweeting/retweeting a lot of stuff, e.g. this electronic billboard on fire outside
Ali Khamenei's house (Twitter). Looks like his house will be next.

Hacker group ‘Anonymous’ also claim to have taken control of 300 Iranian cameras (Twitter).

I don't think the billboard is outside Khamenei's house, however much I would like it to be!

Raisi walks out of interview when Christiane Amanpour refuses to cover her head.

Lots happening over in Iran, see #IranProtests2022 for updates. News is still getting out despite the internet having been largely ‘turned off’ by the authoritarian state. The bravery on the streets is astonishing, especially from Iranian women who are literally being beaten to death by the ‘morality police’ or whatever shitheads implement this absurd religious fascism. Largest protests that country has seen in a very long time and they are pleading for the rest of the world to notice.

The breathtaking bravery is so inspiring. Especially when you compare it to the nauseating obsequiousness we’ve witnessed here over the last two weeks.

Here’s a powerful interview with Iranian journalist Mahsa Amini, who I linked to upthread, on MSNBC.

New video message/threat to the Iranian regime from ‘Anonymous’ hacker group (Twitter). I guess they are the closest thing there is to an international response at present.

Another bounce for this thread as the issue certainly isn’t going away. Here’s a heartbreaking thread from Omid Djalili that highlights some of the young women murdered by the state in this protest (Twitter). Our media and political classes have zero interest in this so it is down to us all to be these womens voice in any way we can.

L221005-new-small_1.jpg

Much more noise should be made about these heroes. But World seems, meanwhile, to accept the 'eternity' of the Islamic Republic. The 1979 revolution was done with unspeakable brutality, the father and an uncle of a mate had to flee to save their lives. One was a doctor, the other one was homosexual, that was enough to get them in danger. I can imagine those events to still resonate in the ears of the population today.

advertisement

Back