advertisement

Magnepan 1.5 QR

smoking-rob

pfm Member
Anyone know anything about them or use them?
I am asking because I am considering buying them, the seller is asking €750 the pair.
There's not a great deal of info on the net about them.
I gather they are fussy about placement and will need a good power amp.
While my Hiraga le Classe A is good, it is not a powerhouse @20w/ch.
Thanks, Rob

Conventional wisdom has it that 20W isn't enough. The Hiraga is that legendary transistor amp from the early 70s isn't it, with the obsolete components that are a bugger to substitute iirc?

Try this website.

http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/

loads of info.

I have the 2.5r model and they really do need a powerful amp to drive them well. The main problem with lower power amps is that the bass response and tightness suffers. Also, they tend to sound a bit ragged when you up the volume.

I've had small Maggies in the past (the SMGa model) and still rate them highly.

Oddly enough speaker positioning has been more of a problem with box speakers. Panels are directional so you have less to worry about in terms of side wall, floor and ceiling reflections. You would need to have 1m between each speaker and the wall behind it, in a small British living room this is quite a lot of space!

Steve is probably right about amplifier choice, the real question is what the amplifier output is at the speaker's impedance (4 ohms in the case of the SMGa) and especially its ability to supply current. For example the small Maggies worked well with a Myst TMA3 (35W @ 8 ohms) but with a Quad 303 45W @ 8 ohms IIRC the bass was always rather soggy. The Sumo Nine (50W class A) was an absolute dream...

So the two potential deal-breakers are going to be space, and your amplifier's output power into 4 ohms... but it's a tempting offer, Maggies and class A are a match made in heaven.

I heard an Arion Talos amp drive a pair of big maggies and it was, to me, the best sounding setup I've ever heard. I wish Mrs Seeker would allow a pair of magnepans in the lounge, then I'd be happy.

The Talos is a 10wpc valve amp IIRC and didn't seem to be struggling. Then again I don't know how much current it can deliver.

advertisement

Back