advertisement

Maggie! Maggie! Maggie!

Also quite a distance from the rear wall is advised though side walls didn’t seem to affect the sound much.

Cyrus II with PSX delivers 125W@4Ohms, nearly doubling the power from 8 to 4 Ohms thus delivering lots of current, even with Massive Attack no probs…
IME, regardless the amp, eventually a note will sound where one becomes convinced that one's neighbour is cleaning a rug on their clothesline by repeatedly swatting it with a tennis racket.

It is at this juncture that one begins to long for a nice pair of small cones that go up to 2-3kHz. :D

Fun speakers, but pretty fussy IME. I remember @lilolee had a pair for a while, when they were good they were very good, but they didn't strike me as the best all rounder.

Yes still have them in my Office (3rd bedroom). I have them diagonal in the corners with bass absorbers (rolled up carpet) behind them. They work surprisingly well and I am often distracted by a piece of music, whilst sitting at my computer. For reference, I listen to a lot of 70's Prog and Fusion and Jazz of any era. They're driven by either a Quad 306 or cheap Chinese Class D amp via a USB DAC from my laptop.

IME, regardless the amp, eventually a note will sound where one becomes convinced that one's neighbour is cleaning a rug on their clothesline by repeatedly swatting it with a tennis racket.

It is at this juncture that one begins to long for a nice pair of small cones that go up to 2-3kHz. :D
To be honest, they major with classical etc. They’re not really made for Massive Attack. Bit like MLs.You'd want boxes for Inertia Creeps etc.

before my ESLs I ran SF Concertinas for many years - they also sounded better for me (in all rooms) with tweeters on outside - opposite of what I thought.
The Maggies really open up with tweeters on the outside and plenty of space behind and between.

Yes still have them in my Office (3rd bedroom). I have them diagonal in the corners with bass absorbers (rolled up carpet) behind them. They work surprisingly well and I am often distracted by a piece of music, whilst sitting at my computer. For reference, I listen to a lot of 70's Prog and Fusion and Jazz of any era. They're driven by either a Quad 306 or cheap Chinese Class D amp via a USB DAC from my laptop.

Hi Lee,

That's good to know, wouldn't expect to see a Quad 306 mentioned.
Then again while they are low impedance, it's a simple and non reactive load.

Have fun with the new kit!

(I strongly suspect that most of the people commenting on Maggie do not have full knowledge or memory of the '70s. It was a disastrous decade for the UK, by the final year of which almost everyone was on strike, including amongst many others refuse collectors - Leicester Square in London was a rat infested rubbish tip. We've had ups and downs since, but it has never been as bad as the '70s, with its constant shortages, power cuts, rapid inflation and general sense of worthlessness. Would people really want to go back to the hopeless leaders we had then - Harold Wilson, Ted Heath and the misogynist James Callaghan; I very much doubt it.)

(I strongly suspect that most of the people commenting on Maggie do not have full knowledge or memory of the '70s. It was a disastrous decade for the UK, by the final year of which almost everyone was on strike, including amongst many others refuse collectors - Leicester Square in London was a rat infested rubbish tip. We've had ups and downs since, but it has never been as bad as the '70s, with its constant shortages, power cuts, rapid inflation and general sense of worthlessness. Would people really want to go back to the hopeless leaders we had then - Harold Wilson, Ted Heath and the misogynist James Callaghan; I very much doubt it.)

I grew up in the 70s.

The unions were rightfully fighting for a fair share of the financial pie, and the IMF were holding the Labour government to ransom - make massive cuts or we'll break your economy.

Callaghan should have sided with Benn and called their bluff.
We had the revenue from north sea oil flowing into the economy shortly after, which Maggie squandered.

I recall the 70s well. There were strikes but the Tories and their friends in the press subsequently exaggerated the effects to a huge extent. Thatcher seized the chance to destroy the unions and employees' protection has gone downhill ever since. The present costs rules make it virtually impossible to bring a claim unless you have financial backing.
My mother-in-law was one of the few Tory voters in Rotherham, and even she complained bitterly about Thatcher's attacks on the north. I recall driving her through Sheffield one evening in the mid 80s and as we passed a steel rolling mill with pickets huddled round a brazier she started muttering "they hate us down there". South Yorkshire is still living with the legacy. Add to that the sale off of council houses which has led directly to the present housing problems.
Thatcher did nothing to address societal problems while creating division as a way of entrenching her power.

I grew up in the 70s.

The unions were rightfully fighting for a fair share of the financial pie, and the IMF were holding the Labour government to ransom - make massive cuts or we'll break your economy.

Callaghan should have sided with Benn and called their bluff.
We had the revenue from north sea oil flowing into the economy shortly after, which Maggie squandered.

Weird view of history... "the IMF were holding the Labour government to ransom" - no, the Labour government went cap in hand to the IMF for a loan, and it rightly asked for more sensible policies to be adopted (which Denis Healey did, much to the annoyance of other Cabinet ministers and the PM). Callaghan didn't do much campaigning in the ensuing election, because he didn't think a woman could possibly become PM. A man who never had a grip. Maggie paid off the loan.

"Thatcher did nothing to address societal problems" - I think that is true, or at least she didn't do enough. But it is also true that she was hugely popular, and we needed her. Not everything she did was good or right - but she helped the UK recreate some self-respect.

Weird view of history... "the IMF were holding the Labour government to ransom" - no, the Labour government went cap in hand to the IMF for a loan, and it rightly asked for more sensible policies to be adopted (which Denis Healey did, much to the annoyance of other Cabinet ministers and the PM). Callaghan didn't do much campaigning in the ensuing election, because he didn't think a woman could possibly become PM. A man who never had a grip. Maggie paid off the loan.

The Labour government didn't need to go cap in hand to the IMF, that's the point. Oil revenues would have made that unnecessary.
Denis Healey, then Chancellor, was to admit this later.

So the whole fight with the unions could have been avoided and the Maggie years never have happened.

But at least the speakers are good ;)

...and the constant strikes, public sector waste, power cuts, massive hidden unemployment, currency controls, shortages of oil, paper, sugar, etc.? All such fun; those were the days!!

...and the constant strikes, public sector waste, power cuts, massive hidden unemployment, currency controls, shortages of oil, paper, sugar, etc.? All such fun; those were the days!!

They were!

Folk had rights, organised labour, the ability for thousands of organised workers to bring down governments.
Exactly as it should be.

There is no such thing as hidden unemployment, merely underutilised labour power.

advertisement

Back