advertisement

Magazine

Never massively keen on Soap for some reason.

Try it again. It is a very dense and almost claustrophobic Martin Hannett production and it takes a good system to sort out. It is a superb album IMO, a masterpiece. I’d cite any of the first three as their best and I’d be hard put to pick a favourite, but there is a heck of a lot I like about this one. Adamson’s bass playing is just incredible, just so tight and funky. Play it a couple of times, there really is a lot in there to pick through.

Try it again. It is a very dense and almost claustrophobic Martin Hannett production and it takes a good system to sort out. It is a superb album IMO, a masterpiece. I’d cite any of the first three as their best and I’d be hard put to pick a favourite, but there is a heck of a lot I like about this one. Adamson’s bass playing is just incredible, just so tight and funky. Play it a couple of times, there really is a lot in there to pick through.
Yeah it’s definitely Adamson’s best Magazine album.

I yearn for a CD. There seems to be no way to buy any of their music so that the musicians actually get paid.
Youtube sound quality is not that good either.

A Song From Under the Floorboards is a good one for me, Howard Devoto’s book of lyrics It Only Looks As If It Hurts a must have for Magazine/Luxuria followers.

I need to dig the (first, I don’t have the second) Luxuria album out for a spin, I’ve not heard that one for decades! I saw them live when it was released.

Good to see a thread on Howard. I really loved Play and ended up getting most of the studio albums. I enjoyed his performances on Jools Holland. They were originally on youtube but seem to have been taken down. Pity.

Still give a variety of Magazine albums a spin every now and then ( on dac!)

advertisement

Back