Advertisement

1. Things you need to know about the new ‘Conversations’ PM system:

a) DO NOT REPLY TO THE NOTIFICATION EMAIL! I get them, not the intended recipient. I get a lot of them and I do not want them! It is just a notification, log into the site and reply from there.

b) To delete old conversations use the ‘Leave conversation’ option. This is just delete by another name.
    Dismiss Notice

Magazine

Discussion in 'music' started by Tony L, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan pfm Member

let me ponder that

2. RustyB

RustyB Registered Ginga

Interesting, but only after Magazine lightened the mood, ie from Soap onwards.

3. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

"Secondhand Daylight" has always been a favourite - very much reminds me of time and place.
    Saw them touring that April '79 at Clouds in Edinburgh, Simple Minds were the support

ciderglider and TheDecameron like this.
  4. Fuller

Fuller pfm Member

Just read a tweet that Real Life was released 43 years ago this month, on 2nd June 1978.
    A brilliant debut album that has been out of print for too long on vinyl and CD.
    About time it had a reissue me thinks ....

Dave Decadent likes this.
  5. Tony L

Tony L Administrator

A superb album. I shall dig my copy out for a spin. I’m amazed it is currently unavailable.

6. Frizzy

Frizzy Liberal anarchist

I’ve got soft spot for ‘correct use’ as first I heard, unfortunately didn’t even know of band till after split, now have them all except sessions.

7. Seeker_UK

Seeker_UK I had amnesia once or twice...

It would seem that "Secondhand Daylight" is also OOP.

8. kensalriser

kensalriser pfm Member

I rediscovered it around 2014 and then again last year when I bought a CD. A little after that, I discovered a vinyl copy I probably bought in the 80s that I'd completely forgotten about. Easily in my top 5 albums from the 77-79 period (now I'm thinking what the others would be: Ramones - Leave Home/The Clash and...)

9. Fuller

Fuller pfm Member

I'm pretty sure the entire Magazine catalogue is out of print - which is a disgrace.

I'm finding it harder and harder to find more and more artists and bands output that is still available. Even S/H prices are going through the roof unless you happen to see something you want in a charity shop.

10. Seeker_UK

"Magic, Murder and the Weather" is no great loss. ;)

Musicman19 likes this.
  11. Paul68

Paul68 Member

Love secondhand daylight

12. RickyC6

RickyC6 Infuriate the frog-men

One of my all time favourite bands. Bought it all on release, including The Correct Use Of Soap with the sleeve that smelled of soap (sadly it’s worn off).
    What you must avoid at all costs though is the album they made when they reformed. God it’s awful.

13. guey

guey pfm Member

That's a little unfair; you wouldn't have this great slice of Fauxtown without it.

irons1965 and Seeker_UK like this.
  14. Seeker_UK

It's probably the best cut on the album but needs more McGeoch. :)

15. guey

guey pfm Member

A lot of things could be improved by more McGeoch tbh - he was a fantastic player.

Musicman19 and Seeker_UK like this.
  16. Fuller

Fuller pfm Member

John McGeoch was for me the very best of the “new wave” guitarists. Such a shame his career tailed off and he sadly died tragically young. Good piece here -https://recordcollectormag.com/articles/engine-room-john-mcgeoch

sideshowbob and Seeker_UK like this.
  17. fegs

fegs pfm Member

That's a decent article, thanks for the link

I saw him live with PIL, he was quite something

18. Operajulian

Operajulian Opera Julian

Aha I might have seen them there too ! I was a student at that time.
    I think also at the now demolished Abbeymount Astoria with Bauhaus as the support.
    See this great list of "gigs".
    http://edinburghgigarchive.com/astoria-stewarts-ballroom/

19. mentalp

mentalp pfm Member

Missed the Astoria one
    We were spoilt for gigs in those days: Tiffanys on Mondays, The Aquarius Wednesdays, Astoria Thursdays, Clouds Fridays, then the Nite Klub Fridays and Saturdays and Valentinos on Sundays

Operajulian likes this.
  20. Bairnstorm

Bairnstorm pfm Member

Secondhand Daylight is my favourite too although Play runs it close just for the little guitar solo on Parade.

My copy of Magic Murder is pristine probably because I didn't play it to death.

I bought No Thyself when it came out and rather like it.

Never massively keen on Soap for some reason.