advertisement

Magazine compares active and passive ATC SCM50

Plenty has changed and moved on, speakers are not just drivers stuffed into birch ply boxes with a simple hand wired x-over. Advancements in design have been huge, advanced materials may not have much effect; in the bigger picture of things we have moved on - IMHO of cause :)

I find the move to modern cabinet materials and design the most interesting development by far of recent years, it's one of the reasons I'd love to spend some time with say a pair of Event Opals as I bet they are very free of cabinet artefacts for what is a fairly small ported speaker. The problem I have is there are few if any companies scaling this technology up beyond what I'd describe as nearfield monitors. Where are the big full-range designs that can really shift some air about? And no, subs are not any substitute for properly integrated and time aligned stereo bass. Proper bass starts at 12", anything less is a midrange unit.

This is not to say I don't like little near-field monitors, I do a lot, but it depresses me that they, along with feeble narrow baffle & small driver lifestyle / home audio floorstanders is about all that's on offer these days. Where are the good big 'uns?

Tony.

Why do so many of these newcomers sound a bit shit next to some good old fashioned tannoy dual concentrics?

sw6dc0.jpg

There ain't no replacement for displacement.

Tony.

As a lover of biggun myself I'm often puzzled by the mini/midfields on stands favoured by many on waf/space grounds when the reality is you have to give your stand-mounters a safe clearance zone of at least a foot all round incase you knock them over.....
The famous JBL 375/(2440) comp driver is a really nice 4" ,the TAD 4001 is essentially an updated version that uses a Be diaphragm and is still considered the 4" comp to beat, because it is probably as good as it can get many new pretenders to the throne such as the 476Mg and Be to all intents can only match it...I'd say the same about the Gold's vs Prestige Tannoys.

Tony, have a look up the ADAM Tensor range for huge advanced speakers. The Alphas are a bit pricey though and the OSS is just silly, £200k in fact! The alphas can apparently shift enough air to swing a door on its hinges.

Meh my old ported and rasta panted cab with 18" paper cone sub (itself painted with the Sanskrit om shanti symbol) and HH Bass amp used to do that stick one of my digeridoos through it and I could suspend a square of rizla paper in the standing wave.

Aha!!

The OSS. That's what I need! What a monster from hell.

Do you think they come in ferrari Red?

And would they do justice to 'Never Mind The Bollocks'?

Oh how I want them :eek::eek::eek:

And the rest who think ATCs are an "old" design?

Can't wait to have both my pairs of ATC100s and then I can really lord over the pussy-whipped WAF ninnies.

Y'know I might just knock out a bunch of ATC-sized Mana Soundstages for my home studio -- say 22 or so just for old times sake and for the shits and giggles.
Hmmm...

advertisement

Back