advertisement

MacOS Photo Editing Software Recommendations Please?

fegs

pfm Member
Morning all

up until five years or so I was mad keen on my photography and for a variety of reasons it was put on hold, I've still got a couple of cameras Nikon D90 and Fujifilm X100 and I've now got the urge to have another go.

first time round I did all my editing using Photoshop and Lightroom on a Windows based laptop, I now have no Windows system and have a Macbook pro,

could anyone recommend me some editing software for a Macbook please?

I'd prefer something cheap for the time being just in case I don't get the bug again

Thanks in advance

OS, not iOS! :)

Can’t help really, I pay for Photoshop CC each month, but you’ll receive plenty of suggestions soon enough.

I use ACDSee which is really easy (IMHO) and not too expensive. Comes in both Windows and Mac versions.
Most offer a free trial, ACDSee a month, but as you know Lightroom why not stick with it, though they only offer a 7 day trial.

If you want a lightroom equivalent then Capture One free version is pretty good - no RAW but great for basic work. The paid version includes layers and far more functionality. I think it's excellent but I probably could have stuck with the free version as I mostly shoot JPEG. Couple that with a PS clone - either Pixelmator (£20 ish) or Affinity Photo (£40 ish IIRC) both of which are excellent (AF better than PM I reckon, and worth the extra) and you're done.

One nice thing with C1 is it integrates well with NikFX - I use SilverFX a lot and it's pretty seamless.

I am pretty sure Affinity are still doing a lockdown promo.

Affinity is very good value at the full price. It is a very powerful piece of software .

Dave

being on a mac is all the more reason to use photoshop - just do what i did and get an older second hand (or free) copy

All Adobe Creative Cloud products are pretty much the same across Mac and PC versions now. Users of them on one OS seem to have no problem moving to 'the other side'. I've just moved a number of editors from Premiere Pro on macs to cloud instances of Windows without much complaint.

All Affinity products are half price at the moment (around £25). I don't use their photo editor as I still have CS6, and only ever use ACR for tweaking RAW photos so no real need for anything else. I do use Affinity Designer and Affinity Publisher and they are amazingly good software so I imagine Affinity Photo is also good. They offer a free trial as well.

thanks all for the suggestions, I've just signed up for the 7 day trial on Lightroom
I've used this previously so will see how I get on, all the other suggestions I will bear in mind though

Again, thanks

Apparently Affinity are doing a 90-day free trial.

I have posted that with the proviso that I read it on another forum and have not checked.

Dave

Luminar were giving away V3...hopefully still are...presumably runs on Macs too. Very powerful program, but on my ramshackle PC its PS that gets used, as Luminar is very resource hungry and slow. Otherwise I'd use it more, maybe even in preference to PS. People are using it in preference to Lightroom.

advertisement

Back