advertisement

MacOS Catalina

For those using Roon.

Taken from Roon's website

We are aware of some issues on macOS Catalina related to file access and security.

We’re hoping to have a fix live soon, but for the moment we are recommending against updating to Catalina for Roon users who run their Core on macOS.

Migrating from Aperture was indeed a nightmare. I ended up actually buying a tool to do it, this one IIRC. I now just have all the pics in a standard folder hierarchy. I’m really annoyed Apple didn’t provide a proper import routine to the vastly inferior Photos app.

I’ve not really read up on Catalina yet, but I hope Photos has been improved significantly in this release as I just hate the way it catalogues/groups photos. It is just useless if you don’t have any use for traditional families, holidays and other conventional things. 99% of my photos are taken for this website and are therefore all shot in the same location and are of hi-fi, records, guitars etc. I had everything neatly laid out by brand, context etc in Aperture (which is how my folder structure is now, but no where as easy to browse). Another very ‘Tim Cook’ dumbed-down thing (Jobs always grasped proper functionality for ‘power/pro users’ etc was needed too).

Yeah, i'm still using Aperture as i've not found anything that will do things better for me. I'm not interesting in a subscription model for software, and my experience of Photos is that it's basically useless for me.

So, my best bet is to go with something like Capture One, so i'll be checking this out at some point. I've an older mac that runs aperture, so that machine will own the old library (till the end of this year) and 2020 onwards will be new. Oh well.

Oh shit - I've got to do the Aperture to something thing. Crap.

Mmm... Steam, Borderlands 2, Ipernity uploader....

I’m leaving it for a while. I think Apple are trying too hard to make you dependant on them with ipadOS and iPhone. This version has nothing to offer for me. In fact I’m getting into Ubuntu Studio.

I had a swift and trouble free installation on my macBook Air but I'm in the middle of a project on my iMac so I'll hold off there 'till it's done. It runs fine on the Air but I have to explore it a bit more. It may be an illusion, but it seems faster than before.

Have to say that Mojave was the most trouble-free OS I've used on the mac.

I read the very informative Ars Technica review and they suggest hanging on until the .1 or .2 release with this one. I’ve always had a deep seated mistrust of zeroes anyway, so I’ll do the same. They imply the new Music app doesn’t mess up existing libraries, which is a big plus for me as I have a large library I don’t want cocking up. Sadly Photos doesn’t look much improved and is certainly still no Aperture. I’ll. look at some of the alternatives suggested above (I’m not paying a subscription for Adobe!). I’ll not get some functionality of Catalina such as ‘Sidecar’ due to the age of my MBP, but it should be ok beyond that. Technically its the end of Kext (Kernal Extensions), but I don’t think that impacts me. The two utilities I use (the Little Snitch firewall and Karabina Elements keyboard mapping for my IBM Model M) both seem to be compatible already. I’m hoping it will be a relatively painless upgrade when I get to it in a week or two, though some over on the Macrumours forum are certainly having some issues. Logically I think I’m now ready to go. I’ve got shut of the few 32 bit things still lying around.

PS I upgraded my DOSbox app to the current 64 bit version so, after a bit of farting around with settings files, I should still be able to run 16 bit DOS games and even my copy of Windows 3.1 on Catalina! There will still be Doom, Quake etc! Anyone using the slick GUI alternative to DOSbox ‘Boxer’ is likely to be disappointed as there doesn’t seem to be any 64 bit development for that.

Sadly Photos doesn’t look much improved and is certainly still no Aperture. I’ll. look at some of the alternatives suggested above (I’m not paying a subscription for Adobe!).

I'd also mention Alienskin Exposure, which started life as a way of emulating various colour and b&w films (which it does very well) but has added significant cataloguing and processing features over the years. As with the Serif product a time limited trial is available.

Updated my MacBook Pro yesterday - no issues at all. Enjoyed playing with the new Sidecar feature using my iPad Pro - i’m sure I’ll find a serious use for it one day! No issues with Roon but I’m running a ROCK rather than using the Mac as Roon Core.

Safari and iMovie are now both fecked on my 2014 Mojave Mac.

Apple trying to get us to update by crapping the apps when on an earlier OS?

Stephen

Why is your safari broken. Apple has not done anything to break it.

I know this because I installed el cap on someone’s Mac last week and safari works just fine on that

Safari and iMovie are now both fecked on my 2014 Mojave Mac.

Apple trying to get us to update by crapping the apps when on an earlier OS?

I don’t use iMovie, but in what way is Safari knackered? It updated itself to the current version last week and it has been fine on all sites I have used (pretty much pfm, Discogs and Popsike on that computer, think I’ve used it for my bank and PayPal too, all fine).

PS Has anyone run REW and measured anything on Catalina yet?

I always wonder why there's always this fuss around OS updates.

I would still be using 10.9 if it weren't for lack of support and security updates.

The only noteworthy thing that I can think of which has been introduced since is the ability to rename multiple files... Anything else?

Meanwhile some of my software stopped working and I've had to replace my WD NAS which could no longer be found on the network by the newer OS versions.

I don’t think there’s anything I need in this one really. I’ll do it once it is stable though. Mohave was a very good OS IMO. Rock solid here with no irritations I can bring to mind.

advertisement

Back