advertisement

macOS Catalina beta

I run Ubuntu Mint on a T.60 without problems. You can run Chrome you know and it supports more than Firefox.

I've run Chromium on that machine, same result. I can reduce the crashing by rebooting each day, or more often, which I have to do because once the tab crashing starts the OS usually follows by seg faulting. The error log points to Gnome.

It's an I5 T430. I've run drive and memory diagnostics, both return good. My guess is that it's a graphics issue. The machine has the ability to switch between integrated graphics (Intel 4000) and an Nvidia chip. Perhaps that isn't being handled well by the window server. I'll put windows back on it once I borrow or buy the restore disk set.

I've run Chromium on that machine, same result. I can reduce the crashing by rebooting each day, or more often, which I have to do because once the tab crashing starts the OS usually follows by seg faulting. The error log points to Gnome.

It's an I5 T430. I've run drive and memory diagnostics, both return good. My guess is that it's a graphics issue. The machine has the ability to switch between integrated graphics (Intel 4000) and an Nvidia chip. Perhaps that isn't being handled well by the window server. I'll put windows back on it once I borrow or buy the restore disk set.
You can download Windows 10 iso for free from here https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10ISO

You can install and run it without a license key but you'll get a watermark nag bottom right of screen and a few prettifies will be missing. Then if you want you can later buy a license - I got 3 on special offer for a fiver.

I use Cinnamon with Mint and for everyday use is fine so why not try it. However I can screw up the workspaces when I run multiple VMs within VMs occasionally. With your machine you can run Windows 10 Pro in a VM.

Cheers,

DV

2012 Mac Pro? That's pretty much a 2010 Mac Pro branded as a server. Unless you've changed the graphics card for a metal compatible one it wouldn't run Mojave natively.

That may be the case. I was merely pointing out the discrepancy of 'all 2010 machines' being able to run Catalina.

My 5.1 MP runs Mojave fabulously as I'm sure it would Catalina.

Stephen

Thanks dv let me play with that link and I’ll pm you if I have no luck
I shall be away from my office as of tomorrow sailing the rivers of Bordeaux tasting the food, wines and truffles of the region. So just follow each step carefully. In Unbuntu I have an online notebook and copy and paste each terminal instruction (when it works) and the corresponding output. It helps when things don't at first work to plan as its easier to spot mistakes/errors and also repeat by just copying and pasting.

Cheers,

DV

That may be the case. I was merely pointing out the discrepancy of 'all 2010 machines' being able to run Catalina.

My 5.1 MP runs Mojave fabulously as I'm sure it would Catalina.

Stephen
I'm afraid not. You are stuck with Mojave unless things change. Currently you need a MacPro6.1 (late 2013) to run Catalina.

However you could boot into Windows 10 Pro and run Catalina within a VM on that very same machine.

Cheers,

DV

advertisement

Back