advertisement

Mackie HR824 Speakers plus Fostex DAC and Passive Preamp

Ugg10

pfm Member
I have for sale my Mackie HR824 active speakers and separately a Fostex HP-A3 DAC and/or a SMPro M-Patch V2 passive preamp.

The Mackies are the mk1 version that I have tidied up a bit to make them more room friendly. The ECO Veneer is engineer walnut that has had a couple of coats of danish oil and has a Matt finish and the baffle is sprayed in gunmetal. Much better than the black ash and vinyl on the original imo.

These have an 8” woofer that can go pretty low (F3 37hz, slower roll off with Passive Radiator) and a 1” tweeter in a wave guide. There are controls on the rear for treble lift/cut, bass lift/cut and room placement. These are obviously designed for studio work and so are very accurate and being active with 150W for the woof and 100W for the tweeter are pretty dynamic. I have used them for Hifi duties in a study for a few years and they are not fatiguing at all to my ears.

I am looking for £450 ono plus shipping (they are heavy so two packages are needed to keep costs sensible but it is likely to be around £50) or collection from West Sussex. (Sound on Sound have a good review of these).

Untitled by A H, on Flickr

To run these in my study I used either the Fostex DAC which has a pretty good volume control and headphone out or the SMPro connected to another DAC and phono preamp (could be a Cd Player or streamer or any other source).

The HP-A3 is a compact AK chip DAC with Optical and USB output and Optical and Line output plus a headphone socket and volume control. Plug your Mac/PC/Streamer/CD into as well as the Mackies and you have a great study / second system. Price is £75 excluding shipping or collection from West Sussex. (“Z” on YouTube has reviewed this, PG for language).

The SMPro M-Patch v2 is a passive preamp (monitor controller) that has two options for the main channel volume - a Potentiometer and a Ladder Attenuator which are easily changed. There is a second input plus RCA and XLR outputs all independently controlled. It works with no power but a wall wart is provided if you want to use the headphone amp built in. It also comes with rack mounts if needed. Again a great addition to the Mackies. Price is £65 excluding delivery or pick up in West Sussex (I have all original packing for this).

Sorry for the long post and if you have any questions please fire away.

I had mk1 624s for years and they were fabulous, I still miss them now.
Ran mine from a Wadia15 dac/pre and the combination was unbeatable for years for nearfield in a smallish room.

GLWtS

advertisement

Back