advertisement

MacBook Pro M1 14

RoA

pfm Member
I have replaced my 3 year old Dell XPS 15 4k and have to say I am very impressed after a month of use.

The screen and colour technology is superb and superior to the Dells which was regarded as one of the best. I am using all Affinity programmes and it's a joy. I am sure when I start using FinalCut for drone videos and other footage it will come into its own.

I have steadfast refused to enter the Apple environment, partly because I am stubborn but am glad to have made the jump to the new'ish M range. I currently use a latest Samsung Galaxy S22 which I really like so won't jump to aniphone this year but will consider the 15 next year.

I got a MacBook M1 at a substantial discount a couple of months ago and am absolutely delighted with it. Fast as f, superb screen and keyboard and touchpad. Been an Apple fanboy for a while now - iMac, Macmini, iPad, iPhone, Watch, AirPods, even an AirTag - all good, all very much worth the money. Phone is ‘only’ an X, might jump to a 14 this year, but honestly have no real need to. My last Windows thing gave up the ghost some months ago. It was a fanless Acer that I had used to run Roon on, something always needed fiddling with every few days. Replaced it with a Macmini M1 which runs headlessly and brainlessly.

I have replaced my 3 year old Dell XPS 15 4k and have to say I am very impressed after a month of use.

The screen and colour technology is superb and superior to the Dells which was regarded as one of the best. I am using all Affinity programmes and it's a joy. I am sure when I start using FinalCut for drone videos and other footage it will come into its own.

I have steadfast refused to enter the Apple environment, partly because I am stubborn but am glad to have made the jump to the new'ish M range. I currently use a latest Samsung Galaxy S22 which I really like so won't jump to aniphone this year but will consider the 15 next year.
Honestly, a lot of people love to hate Apple, but moving over to Apple a few years ago was a real game changer for me. Although you could get higher hardware spec for your money (pre Apple silicone), it was largely irrelevant because it was the operating system that made the difference. I’ve used them from live music and DJ work for over 10 years after two windows based laptops crapped out on gigs a week apart. I’ve never had so much as a single dropout using Apple, much less crash completely and refuse to reload the software I’m using without a complete OS re-install!

As for the phones, I’ve had one problem in 12 years, a failed iOS update, sorted at a genuine Apple store (after the Stormfront store I bought it from tried to charge me). They’re slick to use and stay useable for a few years.

I finally made the jump in 2012 with a 15” MacBook Pro, I think the first with the wonderful retina screen. Suddenly my photo editing became a pleasure. That was stolen in a burglary in 2014, but when the insurance company finally coughed up I just bought the latest equivalent, the mid-2014 model. And it was £200 cheaper! Still going strong, but it does get a bit warm at times.
I’ve had iPhones since the 3GS launched in June 2009, and have never looked back.
I might have to replace the MacBook in a year or so, but I wonder how many windows laptops from eight years ago are still in daily use?

I finally made the jump in 2012 with a 15” MacBook Pro, I think the first with the wonderful retina screen. Suddenly my photo editing became a pleasure. That was stolen in a burglary in 2014, but when the insurance company finally coughed up I just bought the latest equivalent, the mid-2014 model. And it was £200 cheaper! Still going strong, but it does get a bit warm at times.
I’ve had iPhones since the 3GS launched in June 2009, and have never looked back.
I might have to replace the MacBook in a year or so, but I wonder how many windows laptops from eight years ago are still in daily use?
I think you should refer to non-apple kit rather than the O/S. The Lenovo T series are doing very well and have an excellent keyboard for touch typists. Some of the Apple kit was very well built and I have a selection of both Lenovo and Apple machines. In fact I am using a 2012 Mac Mini now and its running Windows 11 Pro as my desktop beast water cooler has died...... I can run Monterey on this Mini and on Lenovo kit under Windows.......

Fun,

DV

I think you should refer to non-apple kit rather than the O/S. The Lenovo T series are doing very well and have an excellent keyboard for touch typists. Some of the Apple kit was very well built and I have a selection of both Lenovo and Apple machines. In fact I am using a 2012 Mac Mini now and its running Windows 11 Pro as my desktop beast water cooler has died...... I can run Monterey on this Mini and on Lenovo kit under Windows.......

Fun,

DV
I only have experience of macOS and Windows.

Fun,

DV
I agree, fun it is. Windows less so I find. Have yet to try W11 though. The pictures I can see here and there are not very encouraging. They really need proper GUI designers. Windows has always been poor as regards design.
I’m currently testing Ventura on M1 and Intel machines (as well as iOS 16). Another nice one from Apple.

I only have experience of macOS and Windows.
I am not sure why you have made this statement and hope that I haven't mislead you.

I have been working with computers a long time and was an early adopter/builder of small micro processor based computers. Us enthusiasts called them micro computers or 'micros' for short. My NASCOM that I still have has around 3000 soldered joints all of which have to be perfect. Theses micros didn't even have an operating system then along came CP/M. These were considered big boys toys and were expensive by todays standards but we could play games! Then out-of-the-blue came Lotus 123 that ran under CP/M. The business world pounced on this as now they had proper word processor, spreadsheet and graphic presentation applications that didn't need an expensive mainframe nor dedicated expensive kit such as Wang and could run them on an inexpensive micro. DOS followed soon and I remember using an NCR micro that had a switch on the front panel so that you could boot from either a DOS or CP/M diskette.

IBM noticed this and bought to market their own micro computer and with a stroke of marketing genius named it the IBM Personal Computer that soon became IBM PC. There were many others also working with micros such as DEC, HP, Apple etc etc. All these micros/PCs used 8 bit processors from different manufacturers. Then along came the first 16 bit processors and the Universities were crying out for a proper O/S for this new architecture.

Meanwhile AT&T was working to modernise from the mechanical Strowger telephone system to a digital based one and the result was a box that employed a 16 bit processor and their own operating system called UNIX. AT&T let the Universities use UNIX for free but held on to its copywrite.

Why have I written all this? Well our home computers be it Apple or A N Other are all microcomputers and if we stick to Intel/AMD processors can run the same code. From the two historical operating systems above DOS became MSDOS/Windows and from UNIX we got LINUX and Apple OS X/macOS. Thats why an Apple built computer is just another PC. Some were dire whilst others were really good solid machines like the Mini and Macbook Air and I can run Windows and LInux/UNIX as well as macOS on them. The opposite is also true for PCs built by A N Other. As with Apple some are dire and others really good solid performers.

So the three major O/S developed along different paths - Apple concentrated on audio visual, Microsoft developed for the business/office environment and Linux was and still is for the academic community.

I have condensed and over simplified this history as you could write a book on it so I stand by for the usual nitpicking but I hope it gives insight into why to me our small computers are all PCs.

Oh and the T series Lenovos? The T series was designed and built by IBM in its factories for its own IBM staff so is a tough/rugged and reliable machine. IBM then moved out and sold the business to Lemovo.

DV

@Darth Vader

Sorry, I’ve no interest after the first sentence! And I don’t mean that as an insult, I just have no interest in ‘putas whatsoever. I glaze over. I use them as necessary, as I do tools at work, and there it stops.

I agree, fun it is. Windows less so I find. Have yet to try W11 though. The pictures I can see here and there are not very encouraging. They really need proper GUI designers. Windows has always been poor as regards design.
I’m currently testing Ventura on M1 and Intel machines (as well as iOS 16). Another nice one from Apple.
Ventura its still going then? I used it for years and years and still have an old Windows version on a CD somewhere in my office.............

My preference is for Linux. I am currently using Windows 11 on a Mac Mini until I have the time to fix my Linux desktop. For me Windows is a pig to work with in comparison but its what you get used to. To be clear here I am comparing the GUI interface and not the 3 kernels which are very powerful.

DV

I bought a MacBook Pro M1 16 a few months ago, mainly to be able to use Lightroom and Photoshop on a laptop. It's a great niece of gear especially with apple adding back ports that were missing on earlier versions. Just got a new work Dell laptop and it rather feels like a toy in comparison, though it was to be fair probably a third of the cost.

My first experience with Macs was around 1984 or 85, when I attempted a paper in computer science at uni. I did not much like it, or maybe I did not engage with the course. I avoided computers for the rest of 1980s. In the early 90s, I had no choice but submit course work in softcopy, using WordPerfect 5.1 or Lotus 1-2-3. I was dragged onboard the personal computing bandwagon kicking and screaming, but became an adopter of MS Windows when I bought my first PC (386SX). I had a succession of PCs. They mostly lasted two or three years before bloatware would frustrate my user experience.

I thought I'd give Apple Mac a try when my last Toshiba laptop wouldn't boot up or if it did, kept crashing. We bought a 21.5" Mac in 2012, and it's still working fine today. I treated myself to a MacBook Air in 2013, which worked flawlessly day in and out. I'm now using the last of the Intel MacBook Airs (2020). In hindsight, I should have waited for the M1 chip. But whether it has Intel or M chip, I simply cannot fault the Mac user experience. The only slight inconvenience (compared to my 2013 MBA) is the absence of SD card reader and MagSafe power cable. I see Apple has brought MagSafe back for its M2 MBA, which is quite tempting.

I don't think I'll ever go back to PCs for personal use. I'll just put up with them for work, where at least I don't have to manage their configuration or obsolescence.

I think he means macOS Ventura, which is getting a full release in the autumn.
Ah! Ventura to me means Ventura Publisher by Xerox. I used it for years to publish documents for our top clients such as ICI. You had to understand how the print industry at that time worked and it was a steep learning curve. Gutters anyone?

How times change.

DV

.. as it's reminiscence time :)

My first Mac was a Performa bought in '93 (before that I had a Commodore Amiga, which was loads of fun)

Gone through loads of them since then and find the experience less and less rewarding with every new OS iteration and successive 'locking down' of the hardware (and deterioration of the software). Suffered loads of abuse on various tech forums for sticking with them during the 'bad' years - all just 'banter' of course ;)

Currently experimenting with migrating away from Macs to Debian and a much simplified computer life.

Macintosh were great - Apple sucks. .... :D

advertisement

Back