advertisement

M.I.A. - Tamal Tigers, Sri Lanka and Foot-Tappers

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
Mathangi Arulpragasam MBE (M.I.A)

Back in 2005 I got a copy of Arular. Not the best album and not the best singer I have ever heard, but full of energy and anger. Hooked.
Over the years I have shared my liking of M.I.A. and I knew there was a political history behind the lyrics but I didn't know the whole story. Her father was a high-ranking resistance fighter in the Tamal tigers.

The BBC recently put out this > Matangi/Maya/M.I.A. now available on BBC iPlayer.

A very personal insight into a refugee finding her voice. I highly recommend this programme.

I know many will dislike her music, but the spirit and determination is palpable. Her spats with american media are impressive.

Her first 2 albums are the best I reckon, although I have not heard AIM.

a taste?

I watched that last night and really enjoyed it.
It's a must see for the M.I.A. massive.

I watched that last night and really enjoyed it.
It's a must see for the M.I.A. massive.

I think it is worth watching for the insight into the way political issues and music can mix, and how (white) american media tried to stamp the artist down. (again)

I enjoy M.I.A. for her political activism and music.

agreed.

When I first heard Arular way back when, it was the music that grabbed me, I had no idea about her political stance initially. The music sounded fresh and her voice and 'technique ' is original to my ears.
And let's not forget those huge bass thummms. It reminds me of the early sparse hip-hop of Just-Ice / BDP.

Not long after M.I.A. came Santigold who I think has a similar voice at times, her 2008 album Santagold is a regular spin here still.

Have any of the lil' fish investigated best sq versions for M.I.A. releases?

Asking for an obsessive.

Have any of the lil' fish investigated best sq versions for M.I.A. releases?

Asking for an obsessive.

I have the first 3 on c.d. I think the sound is good, a liking for 808 beats helps. Subtle it ain't. - the first 2 Arular & Kala are on XL records and are double albums with 3 tunes per side (ish) not sure if 33rpm or 45rpm.

I have other L.P's on XL (Basement Jaxx from memory) and the SQ is good.

I made the decision at the time (2005) that for the type of music that M.I.A. is - a c.d. wold be the best option. I also didn't have such a good record player at the time/c.d. was cheaper!

Thanks BT & same here. I will try to restrain myself, but obsessives gonna obsess :-D

advertisement

Back