advertisement

M-DAC connectivity

pdes

pfm Member
Just a quick "novice" question. I have just acquired a mini PC which I want to dedicate as a media centre. I currently use an M-DAC with optical feeds from the Apple TV and Samsung Smart TV. The "new" PC does not have an optical out put so will I get better sound quality by connecting the DAC to the new PC directly with a USB cable or should I use something like a Terralink-X2 for extra processing before linking to the M-DAC?

Thanks

Just a quick "novice" question. I have just acquired a mini PC which I want to dedicate as a media centre. I currently use an M-DAC with optical feeds from the Apple TV and Samsung Smart TV. The "new" PC does not have an optical out put so will I get better sound quality by connecting the DAC to the new PC directly with a USB cable or should I use something like a Terralink-X2 for extra processing before linking to the M-DAC?

Thanks

Use the USB connection from your computer into the MDAC, optionally you can use a galvanic isolator to remove any potential noise from the connection.

The MDAC thrives on an asynchronous USB connection...:)

Thanks for the quick reply. That should save me a few quid!! :)

Out of interest what O/S are you using ? I'm assuming windows of some form or another

If it's XP use ASIO out, if it's Win7 use WASAPI, and don't make the MDAC your default audio device, this will allow ASIO/WASAPI to have exclusive control during playback...sorry if this is 'grandmother and egg sucking' territory ;)

And the only other thing what level of USB are your ports 2 or 3, I had heard that there were some issues using type 3, with a hub being a workaround.

If it's XP use ASIO out, if it's Win7 use WASAPI, and don't make the MDAC your default audio device, this will allow ASIO/WASAPI to have exclusive control during playback...sorry if this is 'grandmother and egg sucking' territory ;)

Definietly not for me.
How to choose WASAPI? I am using jriver jukebox.

Out of interest what O/S are you using ? I'm assuming windows of some form or another

And the only other thing what level of USB are your ports 2 or 3, I had heard that there were some issues using type 3, with a hub being a workaround.

Yep, Win 7. As to the "default", I presume you are referring to the PC setup. I'm not near the machine at the moment so cannot refer. Also, not sure about the USB but I think they are "3". Maybe I can downgrade the drivers. I've got a hub so can try this solution if necessary.

I really appreciate the pointers. Thanks

Yep, Win 7. As to the "default", I presume you are referring to the PC setup. I'm not near the machine at the moment so cannot refer. Also, not sure about the USB but I think they are "3". Maybe I can downgrade the drivers. I've got a hub so can try this solution if necessary.

I really appreciate the pointers. Thanks

I only mentioned the USB type 3 problem as I recall someone having an issue with them on the MDAC thread...it may have been specific to the type of machine they had, so give it a try anyway...and as you point out if you do get any dropouts there are various workarounds :)

Definietly not for me.
How to choose WASAPI? I am using jriver jukebox.

Ok first off I've not used Jriver Jukebox, so the following will only be indicative...

With both Winamp and Foobar one needs to download a 'plug in', which one inserts into the plugin folder under the program directory. This is then selected as the output option via the software's configuration settings, set the buffers as high as possible, and give it 'Exclusive' control of the MDAC.

Edit; Just spotted this so it may not be available in the Jukebox option

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68408.0

You could always try Foobar or Winamp...

advertisement

Back