Lyngdorf - looking for input and advice

Funk

pfm Member
I've recently made a few changes to my system. Current setup is:

PC running MusicBee stuffed with FLAC files USB'd into
Topping D90SE
XTZ Class A100 D3
Kef Ref 3.2

Speaker cabling is Chord Odyssey 2, interconnects are Audioquest Golden Gate.

Upgrade-itis has struck somewhat and I'm wondering whether to upgrade the XTZ. AIUI, the 3.2s like a bit of power behind them which the XTZ is more than capable of. However I've been keeping an eye on various classifieds and after an off-the-cuff mention by a user re. Lyngdorf I've had my interest piqued.

Problem is I know nothing about them really and would appreciate some thoughts and advice! There are a couple of 2170s for sale at similar prices - one with USB board for £2k, the other with all three modules (USB, Analogue & HDMI) for £2.1k. The latter is local to me, although it's recently needed repair. In fairness to Lyngdorf it seems this was done FOC outside of warranty so all credit to them for that. Both 2170s seem to have been lurking in the classifieds for a while.

I've had a look at some of the RoomPerfect videos and people seem absolutely sold on what it can do. I guess it's a 'you need to hear it' situation (I've never played about with room correction before so it's new to me).

I suppose I have a couple of concerns:

1) ~£2k isn't pocket change - I'd be taking a punt without being able to audition. It's a little outside of my 'punt comfort zone'.

2) If for some reason it isn't for me, I'm not sure it would be easy to sell on quickly (as the current sellers are finding)?

3) I've been out of 'proper' hi-fi circles for a while so my lack of knowledge about Lyngdorf (whom I'd not heard of until a week or so ago) means I don't know whether they're broadly well-regarded etc. This may be akin someone asking whether or not Bentley make good cars because they've never heard of them before so please forgive me if this seems like something I shouldn't worry about.

Basically is a £2k punt on a 2170 likely to result in regret or kit that may be heading into a phase of being unreliable?

The other consideration is that I'm not actually unhappy with the XTZ at all; it delivers in spades for the money. It wasn't an expensive amp when new but I'm always open to discovering something new and my view, usually, is that ultimately with used gear you're unlikely to take much of a bath if you buy something that doesn't gel. I'm just not sure whether than might apply to the Lyngdorf..!

Thoughts and input would be welcomed. :)

Lyngdorf is great stuff and RoomPerfect can work well. However, it doesn’t always and it often works best only dealing with lower frequencies. I’d listen to it without RoomPerfect first and go from there.

I've had a stack of Lyngdorf amps TDAI 2200's with room perfect SDAI and SDA's but im not sure what the newer amps are like.

I think they are based on the same Equipbit chip only the newer amps have switching supplies instead of linear supplies of the older amps. They are good, but i always ended up going beck to Class A/B amps, i was never that much a fan of Room-perfect fan, it took any life away from the music and it always felt overly controlled, the earlier ATP system where you set your own target curve seem better to my ears.

Maybe get a TDAI 2200 with Roomperfect and give that a go you might be able to get one for £750 or so, they are beautifully made.

A few years ago now i had back to back test with another forum member who i was going to buy some speakers from, we tried a Lyngdorf SDA power amp, a pair of Bel Canto Coherent modified monoblocks and a pair of Albarry 30 Watt monoblocks (the Red ones), the Albarry was so much more real sounding than the other two! remarkable really.
Ive also had a pair NORD Ncore monoblocks too, but i couldn't really tell the difference with my normal NHT monoblocks level matched so sold them on!

There is a massive thread on here somewhere, Lyngdorf was really good for a while, the amps were very well made and good value and they were very active helping DIYers make 2.2 speakers systems for the amps, they then changed into Steinway Lyngodrf and the prices literally doubled overnight, they become less about enthusiasts and more about lifestyle and the price tags that went with it.

I think Werner on here has a newer Lyngdorf and he really rates his, he's a very knowledgeable bloke and someone i'd trust the opinion of.

There a good thread about Class D here which dicusses Lyngdorf amps.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/class-d.261058/

I have a TDA-2170 and I feel it is totally self-effacing. For years now I am not aware of a component named 'amp' in my system. (That alone should put some people off ;-)

Not that all is well. RoomPerfect can be good, but it can also go stubornly wrong and there is nothing that the user can do to modify the result. In my room (4 x 7) and with ProAc D40Rs I had to cheat during setup, taking all measurement points close to the listening seat instead of scattered through the room. That worked. What is really missed is a user-programmable equaliser.

However, for the past 3+ years I have been listening out of necessity (I needed their storage room) to Quad ESLs. This without RP, as the setup regime is too brutal for 40 years old diaphragms. I hope to move the Quads out and the ProAcs with RP in before the end of this year, but it is not a priority.

I have a TDA-2170 and I feel it is totally self-effacing. For years now I am not aware of a component named 'amp' in my system. (That alone should put some people

The above is an acute observation. It’s very detailed but no sign of brightness. The background just gets closer; I find this particularly enjoyable. The downside is some stuff (joe cocker - after midnight for example) hasn’t the raw edge a less sophisticated amp provides. One amp does all is a fantasy if you like a broad range of music IMHO.

I’ve had a 3400 for a few weeks now, s/h, almost three years old and half price. So dip your finger in S/h would be my advice.

Thanks for all the comments so far, I'll have to give it some thought. I think I'd be more willing to take a risk if I thought it might be easier to shift on if it doesn't work for me/my room/my system. Also still niggling doubts about the reliability from comments on another forum I'm on (specifically the volume control - it's twice I've seen that mentioned relating to the 2170 now which doesn't bode well).

I've owned the 2170 (all options), 2400 power and 3400 (all options). Room Perfect is fantastic. The volume control is one of if not the smoothest/best I've owned.

Things aren't moving quickly on the used market but I have managed to shift stuff recently on forms, I reckon you'd struggle to move the 2170 on quickly though now the 3400 is out that's what people want, the other way to look at it is you might get one for a decent price if you make an offer.

With the 2170 you'd need the USB Module, the 3400 includes USB and a Streamer. Maybe you could sell the D90 too if the Lyngdorf has enough inputs, I'd be inclined towards a basic 3400 if you didn't have the PC.

I've owned/compared D90 to 3400 as a Pre, never heard XTZ so can't comment on the differences there would be.

I’ve owned the 2170 with all the boards and was, overall, very impressed. Highly recommend. Lots of features, very transparent, very low noise floor (ie non-existent), excellent volume dial (it’s the small things!!), LOVED the sub integration and LIKED RoomPerfect (although I preferred it bypassed). My only reservation now is that they’re less desirable since Lyngdorf released the 1120 - a little less power but like the 3400 includes streaming capability, web interface, and, importantly, voicings. Not to mention you can pick one up new for the same amount as a 2 yr old 2170. Lacking a USB input though if I recall correctly.
I had no trouble selling my 2170 on, so I wouldn’t let that put you off too much.

I’ve owned the 2170 with all the boards and was, overall, very impressed. Highly recommend. Lots of features, very transparent, very low noise floor (ie non-existent), excellent volume dial (it’s the small things!!), LOVED the sub integration and LIKED RoomPerfect (although I preferred it bypassed). My only reservation now is that they’re less desirable since Lyngdorf released the 1120 - a little less power but like the 3400 includes streaming capability, web interface, and, importantly, voicings. Not to mention you can pick one up new for the same amount as a 2 yr old 2170. Lacking a USB input though if I recall correctly.
I had no trouble selling my 2170 on, so I wouldn’t let that put you off too much.
Yeah the 1120 needs a USB SPDIF converter, the USB at the rear is for updates or storage access only, dunno why no USB in seems a missed feature, don’t think the NAD M10 has USB either it’s the obvious competition.

Yeah the 1120 needs a USB SPDIF converter, the USB at the rear is for updates or storage access only, dunno why no USB in seems a missed feature, don’t think the NAD M10 has USB either it’s the obvious competition.
I think the Cambridge audio evo150 does… interesting prospect… but no room correction

I agree with @Silver Birch, he nails it! I have a TDAI 3400 and it is brilliant! For my room, RP required a lot of playing around to get right, I like the idea that I can flick between dozens of different settings to get the sound how I want, although I love it on Bypass. This amp is very powerful and wouldnt have any issues driving most speakers, just as the 1120 would be powerful enough.

I’ve come from Naim and Hegel components and the Lyngdorf is certainly more transparent than those two brands to my ears. :)

advertisement

Back